Author Topic: Crematorium Middlesbrough  (Read 313 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crematorium Middlesbrough
« on: Thursday 26 January 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Can someone tell me which crematorium would be used for a deceased Guisborough resident in February 1974.
Many thanks

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crematorium Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 23 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not overly familiar with the area, but according to the list produced by the Cremation Society, the nearest one by far would be Teesside Crematorium, which is in the grounds of Acklam Cemetery:

https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-marriages/cemeteries-and-crematorium/teesside-crematorium

The full list is at:

https://www.cremation.org.uk/list-of-crematoria-by-year-of-opening
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 23 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for reply.  As I recall my mother's cremation (1962) was at Middlesbrough Crematorium.  I wondered if that was renamed Teesside Crematorium at a later date.

Will have a look at list.
Thank you
Ceeoh

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for reply.  As I recall my mother's cremation (1962) was at Middlesbrough Crematorium.  I wondered if that was renamed Teesside Crematorium at a later date.

Could well be - according to Wikipedia, the County Borough of Teesside was established in 1968, taking in Middlesbrough and various other places. I don't think Teesside existed before that except perhaps as a twinkle in the planners' eyes, or some kind of statistical unit.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I searched for "Teesside Crematorium" at British Newspaper Archive. Apart from an article from 1948 concerning possible names for a planned crematorium to serve Hartlepool, the hits start in 1968.

Conversely, searching for "Middlesbrough Crematorium", the most recent hit is in 1996. A 1994 hit gives the address of Middlesbrough Crematorium as Ackland Road (i.e. the address of the present Teesside Crematorium.)

I think this is all consistent with the two places being one and the same, with an official renaming in 1968 as suggested by arthurk.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Teesside Crematorium on Acklam Road in Middlesbrough would be the one used in 1974.

Until recent years, it was the only crematorium in the area. Another opened at Kirkleatham, near Redcar, a few years ago, and very recently one has opened at Stockton.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.