Author Topic: Lassoing Women and other Marriage Customs in Co. Kerry  (Read 278 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lassoing Women and other Marriage Customs in Co. Kerry
« on: Thursday 26 January 23 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone ever heard or read of any peculiar marriage customs in Co. Kerry.

I found an account of boys and girls hunting unmarried women around Caherciveen and throwing them in the river, on Fat Tuesday.

https://archive.org/details/MemoirsOfJeremiahCurtin/page/n479/mode/2up?

In particular, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of the like of this, or heard whether the same thing happened in other villages.  Or whether there were other customs adduced in Kerry.

Most of my Kerry ancestors lived in Glenbeigh and Killorglin, and I wasn't sure if they would follow exactly the same custom, and anyway, I was curious if there was another account of it, or of something similar.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lassoing Women and other Marriage Customs in Co. Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 23 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't see anything under marriage customs pages 338-344
https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4666594/4665178

But did enjoy reading "Lore of certain days" pages 348 - 361

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 23 03:38 GMT (UK) »
@ hanes teulu
Thanks. That was interesting.

Guessing that there is an error on p341 where it says:

The days appointed by custom are Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, are unlucky days.

From what it says several pages on, but not under marriage customs, I think that it was Monday and Friday that were considered unlucky: (p348)

They say that the unlucky days throughout the year and Mondays and Fridays. People tell us that on these days you should never cut your hair, or pluck geese. They also say that you should never give meal to pigs on Mondays.

BTW, I checked 17 Catholic weddings I had in Kerry.  None of them were on a Monday or Friday.

Also looked at baptisms.  I looked at a lot and didn't count them.  Seemed like there were less on Fridays than on most other days, and very, very few on Mondays.  (Maybe, that was when the priest took the day off?)

Wasn't too scientific about it, as I don't think it was possible to be 100% certain of the dates.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 23 03:49 GMT (UK) »
@heywood
Good way to increase plummeting TFR?

I remember trying to dip my toe in the ocean in Ireland once (that was on the East coast), and it was pretty darn cold.  Easily colder than anything I had ever felt in New England waters.  In fact, there was nobody else at the beach, and also, it was all rocks and no sand.  I could only see evidence of people having fires there, not swimming.

Thanks, for the link!  Those are some interesting customs.