Author Topic: 1835 Marriage of Thomas Ballinger to Elizabeth Crockett, Kempsey  (Read 131 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1835 Marriage of Thomas Ballinger to Elizabeth Crockett, Kempsey
« on: Friday 27 January 23 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know whether anyone has access to anything more detailed than the bare transcription I can see of this 1835 marriage but if so I’d love to know either the bride’s age or whether Thomas was a widower.

(Diana Ballinger was baptised in Dormston, Worcs., in 1810, daughter of Thomas and Mary. I can see a Thomas Ballinger in the 1851 Census in neighbouring Kington, who looks to be the right age to be Diana’s father but is married to Elizabeth, about 20 years younger than him. I can also see a burial in nearby Inkberrow of a Mary Ballinger in 1831. She was about the same age as Thomas and maybe Diana’s mother?)

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1835 Marriage of Thomas Ballinger to Elizabeth Crockett, Kempsey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 23 11:56 GMT (UK) »
For anybody looking for the 1851 entry - wife is shown as Betsy - not Elizabeth.  Thomas is 64 & she is 44

Have you found them in 1841 - Thomas was b Gloucs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 23 12:45 GMT (UK) »
For anybody looking for the 1851 entry - wife is shown as Betsy - not Elizabeth.  Thomas is 64 & she is 44

Have you found them in 1841 - Thomas was b Gloucs

Sorry, yes I was looking at the 1861 Census.

I haven’t yet located Thomas Ballinger in 1841 but I have found a possible marriage: Thomas Ballenger to Mary Veal in 1805 in Inkberrow.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 23 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Here it is 28th Dec 1835
Thomas Ballinger of this parish bachelor
Elizabeth Crockett a spinster by banns
x and signature
John Laight x and Jane Willers.

So it doesn't look like him Sorry.I'm guessing it is the son Thomas Ballinger born 1813.
And the one at Worcester in 1835 to Elizabeth Mayel is also a bachelor.

But I do think you are right and Mary Died 28 Sep  1831 age 46 and Thomas remarried.Her address is Dormston on the burial at Inkberrow.
I tried finding the children in 1841 census
James born 1806 burried Inkberrow 15.2.1831
Diana age30 is widowed in Dormston
John 25 a servant at Hunt End for farmer Joseph Wyatt 40
Benjamin born 1819 is working for William Parkes 45 farmer Hanbury
Charles age 20 is a bricklayer in George Street  Worcester
David age 24 hours of Dormston burried Inkberrow 25.4.1824
Arthur age 10 is working for Thomas Laight 60 farmer at Cockshed Farm Kington.

Which leaves Thomas senior and Junior missing.
I agree with that marriage at Inkberrow ,it fits nicely .Can't get the image up though as that year is missing on Ancestry.Her baptism is there 5.10.1783 d of Richard and Hester Veal.

Sorry again but I just can't spot that marriage for Thomas and Betsy

Ciderdrinker

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 23 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Here it is 28th Dec 1835
Thomas Ballinger of this parish bachelor
Elizabeth Crockett a spinster by banns
x and signature
John Laight x and Jane Willers.

So it doesn't look like him Sorry.I'm guessing it is the son Thomas Ballinger born 1813.
And the one at Worcester in 1835 to Elizabeth Mayel is also a bachelor.

But I do think you are right and Mary Died 28 Sep  1831 age 46 and Thomas remarried.Her address is Dormston on the burial at Inkberrow.
I tried finding the children in 1841 census
James born 1806 burried Inkberrow 15.2.1831
Diana age30 is widowed in Dormston
John 25 a servant at Hunt End for farmer Joseph Wyatt 40
Benjamin born 1819 is working for William Parkes 45 farmer Hanbury
Charles age 20 is a bricklayer in George Street  Worcester
David age 24 hours of Dormston burried Inkberrow 25.4.1824
Arthur age 10 is working for Thomas Laight 60 farmer at Cockshed Farm Kington.

Which leaves Thomas senior and Junior missing.
I agree with that marriage at Inkberrow ,it fits nicely .Can't get the image up though as that year is missing on Ancestry.Her baptism is there 5.10.1783 d of Richard and Hester Veal.

Sorry again but I just can't spot that marriage for Thomas and Betsy

Ciderdrinker

Many thanks, Ciderdrinker, this looks very suggestive, and not just the Dormston abode of Mary. John Laight was the name of the son of Thomas and Ann of Cockshot Farm (which is closer to Dormston than Kington) who was the husband of Diana Ballinger. (He died in 1846, but I haven’t found him in 1841.) It would be a bit much if these are coincidences.

In 1861 Thomas Ballinger was very close to Cockshot Farm (though it had changed hands by then, Thomas and Ann Laight having died by then.

Dave :)