Author Topic: Possible Date Please - Minnie Griffin, Eastbourne Sussex UK  (Read 911 times)

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Date Please - Minnie Griffin, Eastbourne Sussex UK
« on: Saturday 28 January 23 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please give an idea of date for this photo which I'm guessing is a wedding, due to the flowers in the hand of the woman sitting. There is a bit of confusion between family members as to who is in the photo. Either a couple who we know married in Australia or a couple who married in England. However, I have noticed at the bottom there is an embossed imprint of the photographer, which looks like Eastbourne? This could then put the photo as possibly being taken in England, somewhere around Eastbourne, Sussex.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Date Please - Minnie Griffin, Eastbourne Sussex UK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 23 00:51 GMT (UK) »
It looks Edwardian to me.

Is it possible to scan the photo so that the name of the photography studio is complete? You can see that there is more to the name underneath "The Eastbourne"

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 23 07:30 GMT (UK) »

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Believe me if I had the actual photo I would have ensured I had the whole image when scanning, including the embossed writing. The image I have is an electronic copy from a cousin, so am in the process of finding out who has the original. Yes its definitely Edwardian, but was wondering if anyone can judge by the fashion whether it was closest to 1900 or later say 1915. Minnie Griffin (at back) emigrated to Adelaide, Australia in Oct 1915, so the photo had to be taken before then. Just wanting to get an idea from the style of the dresses and hats what decade. Also is the dress on the woman sitting, a bridal dress? Did they have bridesmaids in that era? Trying to figure out if the three were siblings at a wedding, or if the front couple are the newlyweds.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 23 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Those hats were in fashion for a few years from about 1906 to 1910. Similarly, the man's collar was of the same date.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 23 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :D

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 23 10:46 GMT (UK) »
If they were newlyweds, I think the bride would be showing her ring. The man is showing his. Could it be siblings at his wedding? Would the ages/dates be right for that?
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter,
Yes that is my drift of thought too. I am pursuing that possibility and have discovered one of Minnie's brothers married in 1906, with Minnie's sister Nellie, a witness on the certificate. So it is very possible it is picture of Minnie and Nellie with their newly married brother. To me the women look more like bridesmaids (especially the one seated) than the bride, that is why I am asking if anyone knows a thing or too about Edwardian wedding fashion and etiquette. Gadget's tip about the hats being a short term fashion statement between 1906-10 makes sense and would fit the possible scenario. Also would a bride wear such a hat?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm just wondering if the seated woman with the flowers could be the bride. I'll try to blow up her hand  to see if there is an outline of a ring - or maybe Petr of japeflakes could do it  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***