Author Topic: Possible Date Please - Minnie Griffin, Eastbourne Sussex UK  (Read 912 times)

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Date Please - Minnie Griffin, Eastbourne Sussex UK
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Ive just blown it up but can't make out an outline of a ring. Ive just been Googling Edwardian wedding fashion and discovered they did indeed have bridesmaids. Interestingly the bridesmaids wore big hats while the bride had a white veil or white hat. Apparently white was all the rage for the bride. Another interesting bit I gleaned was the bouquet was invariably very big and trailing. She is holding a small spray, which again is making me wonder if she was his sister and not the bride. Oh how I wish they wrote names on the back of the photos!! Would save so much speculation!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I've just fiddled with the exposure.  I'm not sure. There are some marks on ring finger but as it;s greatly enlarged it's difficult ....

If yo u have the original, maybe you could scan that part of the photo at a high resolution.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Here's an example of a  bride wearing a 'slightly' smaller hat:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s2p/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I think though if you look closely its not a hat but her hair and the flowers a wreath. I just read that orange blossom wreaths were all the rage and the hair was usually in an upswept big mass (cant think of the proper word). If you scroll down the link, you actually see the waxed orangeblossom headress in a box.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:59 GMT (UK) »
What do you think of  my enlargement of the glove?

Re the hat/ garland - I could not find anything speedily on the web  but I have examples of hats in my own books. It would be a breach of copyright to put them up.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 January 23 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure but I thought the lady looked like she was wearing gloves.
The two and half inch men's collar was in fashion between 1907-1911 this supports Gadget's estimate.
Lovely photo.
Carol
Added, Just noticed Gadget's scan! I jumped in on the first page
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 January 23 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Carol - you and I have done quite a few facial comparisons in our time, so what do you think about the likenesses between the three?  I can see a good likeness between the groom and the lady behind but less with them and the seated lady. 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 January 23 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree Gadget, the lady at the front doesn't share any of the facial features with the Lady at the back and the gent .
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 January 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget and Carol, your insights have been very helpful. I totally agree the gent and Minnie at the back definitely look alike, so am certain they are brother and sister. Maybe the woman seated is his bride, and not Minnie's sister Nellie. If you ladies are good at facial recognition, here is a photo of Nellie(L) and Millie (R) a number of years later. I personally can see a resemblance between Nellie in the wedding shot and the older Nellie is this shot though.