Author Topic: Gwargoelan  (Read 374 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gwargoelan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 January 23 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Cannot see John Evans or Margaret in Pontweli/lly in 1871. The addresses on the 1871 Census sheet reads -
" ..., Toll Bar, Danygraig, Rhydygalfe, Old Toll Bar (unoccupied), Half Moon Inn, Twellyside, Pontwelly Stores, Fountain, Panteg, Cilgwyn Arms ..."

"Fountain" is occupied by Daniel Jones, 57, Carpenter, born Llandissil. On the 1861 Census under "Pontweli Village" is "Daniel Jones, 48, Carpenter, born Llandyssil
"Panteg" is occupied by Daniel Davies, 61, carpenter, born Llangeler. On the 1861 Census under "Pontweli Village" is a "Daniel Davies, 52, born Llangeler"
In 1861 both were close neighbours of John Evans.

Checking Street view there is a "Twellyside" and "Half Moon Inn" still on Station Road .

Offline sandi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:38 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you so much for your help it has been most useful. I feel now I am on firmer ground to sort this family out.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 January 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Croeso.

Best of luck with the Evanses - such a difficult name to chase.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me if this question was already answered.

I have looked on the Family Search 1851 census and  John and Margaret's eldest daughter, Mary is 25 but I can't find her on the 1841 census to confirm which one is correct.

She would be old enough in 1841 to be working away from home.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me if this question was already answered.

I have looked on the Family Search 1851 census and  John and Margaret's eldest daughter, Mary is 25 but I can't find her on the 1841 census to confirm which one is correct.

She would be old enough in 1841 to be working away from home.

Trish :)
Agreed - I did cast around in that locale for a Mary Evans NOT part of the family eg. occpn. "F.S. etc". But any such find was unlikely to add to the search anyway.

I found her probable burial "Parish Church Llanfihangel-ar-arth, bur. 17 Jun 1853, abode Pontdiweli, age 31 yrs." This gives a YoB c.1822 which fits the baptism at post #6. Her mother Margaret was buried 4 Sep 1875, age 72, Pontwely but father John yet to surface post 1871.

As for the original post seeking location of the family in '51 if I was a betting man my money would be on their being at what is now No. 2 Station Road.