Author Topic: Marriage lookup in Deddington  (Read 3694 times)

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup in Deddington
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 September 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
Debbie

I am working through that list and have found other whings but no breakthrough as yet. I know that they are all in there somewhere but it is a matter of just fitting the pieces together.

If you have burials for Oxfordshire do you have any entries for Samuel Jarvis from 1807 to 1860?

Robert

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 September 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

The burials for Bodicote are in the index up to 1851 - but no Samuel Jarvis I am afraid - is there anywhere else he might have been?

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 September 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
I can't say exactly, I was wondering if there was any record of a burial of Samuel in Oxfordshire, part of an elimination process. I know Kezia was buried in Bodicote in 1810.

All the indications I have is that the Samuel who married Kezia was born in Broad Campden in 1764 and baptised in Ebrington 1764 and he was said to have been buried in Chipping Campden in 1825. I am still trying to convince myself that this is the Samuel who married Kezia in Adderbury in 1793 and 2 of the children were bapd in the Presbyterian in Bloxham and Milton and 3 in Bodicote. But Campden is some way off Adderbury.

Samuel's father was Thomas who was bapd in Ebrington in 1732 and there is another blockage, absolutely no info anywhere as to parentage or confirmation oc christening.

That is my main line, I have managed to trace more on the maternal side.

Have you had good success with your tracing of family?

Robert

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 September 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think I have found Samuels burial - but you might not like it cos I don't think the one born in Broad Campden is the one you want

From the Adderbury registers
burial 1839 December 25th Samuel Jarvis aged 67 of Milton
- making him born 1772

I think this is the same one who married 1818 (after the death of Kezia that you have already found)
Samuel Jarvis widower of Milton to Martha Kingston spinster

Yes I have been tracing various lines of my family for over 20 years now and I have had great sucess with my mums side - one line back to 1550 - however like you my main line - Payton - I hit a block 15 years ago and I still can't shift it cos I can't find a baptism around the 1715 to find out who my John Paytons parents were.

I will see if I can pick up any more clues on where Samuel might have v=been born/baptised

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 September 05 19:27 BST (UK) »
Debs

I have no problem with that if that is the correct pathway and admittedly it seems logical rather than a birth over in Campden.

What I do know is that in the marriage between Samuel and Kezia Whing on 16/9/1793 a witness was Thomas Jarvis that will be either his brother or father. If you are right  about 1839 then his death gets into BMD and a death cert!

About your John Payton where in England did the trail disappear? By the way what's with the Coat of Arms?

You are turning my world upside down. What is certain is that my gggggrandfather was Daniel who per census returns in Liverpool was born in Oxford. On the census returns age indicated not always consistent but tends to show birth year as from 1809 to 1811. Unfortunately the only Daniel coming up was that bapd 21/9/1806 Bloxham and Milton. After what you have been finding I now have doubts whether this is the right Daniel.  Can you search please also and check for Daniel?

I have also managed to trace some lines back on the maternal line into the mid 1500s and in a couple of cases late 1400, of those there is no doubts. When you think that the Black Death was still rampant and this was years before the Great Fire of London, it is truly staggering.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Robert

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 September 05 09:19 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Robert

I have had a look at whether I could find any other candidates for your Daniel Jarvis in Oxfordshire and at the moment I can't - however many members of this family seem to be non-conformist which means that baptisms at least don't show up in the church register transcriptions that I have.  I have to admit I like the fact that he was born in or near Milton as the Samuel  we have been looking at seems to have come from there.

I have found (in my people in wills index) a reference to a will of Nathaniel Jarvis gent of Deddington (same sort of area) which was proved 1780 - in it he names his brother Thomas and Thomas's two sons William & Samuel,  his brother William and William's son John and his brother Richard and Richards children Richard, Martha, Mary and Nathaniel, - again this will is at Oxford Records Office.  There seems to be several Jarivis's at Deddington -mostly involed in the carpentry/joinery trade - which doesn't fit too well with you Daniel being a Tailor.

My Paytons dissapear/stop in the Abingdon area - John Payton married 1740 in Abingdon is given as 'of East Ilsley' but there is no sign of him or any Paytons there at the time and I can't seem to find a baptism for him - there is one (Painton) which would have fitted very well in Denchworth but when I looked at the registers that one was buried as a baby a couple of months later.  I still think that my John was probably a child of those parents but I can't find any way to prove it.  The coat of arms is that of the Peyton/Payton family of Cambridge - I have no right to it at all,  but it is a nice way to mark my posts and help people remember if the have 'spoken' to me before,  you can add one or even a picture of something by using the settings in My Profile - let me know if you want any help on this.

I will think over your Jarvis's today and see if I have any other stuff which might shed any light but I think we may be coming to the end of what I have that can help - still you never know.

Debbie

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 September 05 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Heavens you must have been up early!!

That is very intersting about the will and I needs look into these. On the subject of trades, there was a Charles Jarvis bapd 30/9/1808 at Adderbury born to Thomas and Magaret. I believe this to be the same Charles who later married Jane Greenway in 1844 and was a tailor in Milton. With the details you have provided I can explore a bit more.

Your assistance has been of immeasurable value. I wish I could help you with your roots. I know per igi there were over 20 John Payton baptised within +/- 5 years of 1720. East Isley I see is some 20 miles south of Abingdon on the A34. Clearly your ancestor lived there at that time but obviusly may have moved in from some where else. Pound to a penny if he was first male born he would be carrying his father's or grandfather's name. But here I am trying to teach you to suck eggs when you have been at this for many years, beg pardon. But sometimes different eyes see something.

I think I have just got another message, back soon.

Robert

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 September 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Cannot find any Samuel bapd abt 1772 in Oxford, perhaps could be that it was non-conformist but quite a number are shown on IGI. However did find a Samuel who was bapd 6/1/1772 and had a brother Thomas. This was in Barcheston Warwick. No marriages in this area for a Samuel of 21 years which would have been 1793. I wonder if this is the Samuel who married Kezia, possible but I do not know for sure. Looks more promising than the Campden Samuel bapd 1764 wo would be 21 in 1785, and guess what a marriage in Tredington to Ann Coldicot in 1785. Could not be the Samuel bapd 1772, he would have been underage.

Back to the 1772 Samuel his parents were John Jarvis and Sarah, wait for it!!! BEAVINGTON!!. I am sure you know of that name and Glos censuses.

However back to Oxford and Nathaniel. Trying tp pin down bapd etc of Nathaniel and his brother Thomas and William. Then to try and pick up Thomas's sons named in the will.

Looks like I have quite a few options to follow up.

Robert

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 September 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thank you very much for all your help.

I am working through the information provided.

Progress:-

No trace of bapd or marriage of Nathaniel and brothers in Oxfordshire. One possibilty is his brother Richard, have found one bapd in Litchboro Northampton who had children of the same name as mentioned in Nathaniel;s will.

As regards Samuel Jarvis and birth year 1772, only possibility is in Barcheston as advised in my previous mail, still looking into that .

Have'nt started on the Whings yet.

Robert