Author Topic: Burials help  (Read 947 times)

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials help
« on: Sunday 29 January 23 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Been trying to find where my ancestors are buried for years, but it is proving impossible. My male ancestor, Patrick Brien died in Munny, Parsonstown, Kings County on 26 April 1879. Gives Munny as his address. His wife Anne, Nee Dunne, also from Munny, died in 1912 in Derrinboy. I can understand it being difficult to find where Patrick is buried, but Anne only died in 1912. One of her children, Laurence, died in 1915 and lived at the same address as his mother in Derrinboy. Where on earth would they be buried? Can anyone help? Also. On Family Search I came across a Brien family from Munny, and a lot of them are buried in a churchyard called Thomastown. But I don't think it exists anymore. There is a Thomastown Desmene, or there was. My ancestor, Patrick Brien was also up before Thomastown Courthouse in 1875 for allowing two asses he was in charge of from walking along a road. He was fined one Schilling. So as well as a burial ground, there was also a courthouse in Thomastown. But it is not on any map. I have a book of a map of Offaly from the early 19th century, and this place called Thomastown isn't on it.

O`Brien and  Dunne.

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Burials help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:08 GMT (UK) »
as far as I can see there are two townlands named Thomastown in county Offaly, one near Edenderry in Ballymacwilliam parish, and the other north east of Birr in Drumcullen civil parish named Thomastown demesne.

There's no church or grave yard shown on historic maps in the first Thomastown, a private chapel is shown adjacent to Thomastown house in Thomastown Demesne townland which may have had burials, but I suspect for the use of the residents of the house.

Petty sessions were held in Edenderry and various courts in Birr/Parsonsown

The old OS maps, about 1840, show a small village of Rath with a court house and constabulary barracks just west of Thomastown demesne, also a Catholic Chapel and further west a old graveyard and site of old church, the townland is Tinnacross. I cant see any sign of this graveyard on later maps

As far as I can see from the death records (if I have the right one - Army pensioner?) Patrick died at Money in Frankfort registrar's district (part of Parsonstown district), so most likely buried near there. Money is a large townland, over 1,000 acres in Ballyboy parish and includes the town of Frankfort, it's located south of Frankfort and not that far east of Thomastown demesne townland.

p.s. Derrinboy is also in Ballyboy civil parish

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:26 GMT (UK) »

Frankford townland encompasses a lot of the town of Kilcormac.
https://www.townlands.ie/offaly/ballyboy/ballyboy/kilcormac/frankford/

As athacliath62 said, he died in Money townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06516/4876785.pdf

Money t/l is only 3 km south of Kilcormac so look for his burial in that area.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4245720#map=13/53.1588/-7.7256

There's a graveyard (St Joseph's cemetery) just south of the centre of town.
See here: https://arcg.is/1jujaX1
Pan up to see Kilcormac.
MapGenie 25 Inch in Basemap Gallery.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:40 GMT (UK) »
link to Tinnacross townland with that courthouse, barracks, RC Chapel and old gravyard, adjacent to Thomastown : https://arcg.is/0rjD490

(switch to the 6" first edition map on the layers menu)

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I'm a dinosaur at posting links to people. This is what it says and where the record was found.  Ireland, Petty Session Court Register 1818-1918. Pat Brien. P.S.Order book CSPS 1/1/268. No. 311. Pat Brien Pensioner. Defendant. "That on 21st day of August 1875 at Thomastown in the Kings County the defendant did allow 2 asses to wander on the public road. Fined one Schilling. " Or words to that effect .
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Someone I know who lives in Munny ( as it's now spelled) told me there used to be a market in Munny years ago.
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't expecting to find a courthouse at that location, they are usually in towns, initially I thought maybe a mixup with another Thomastown, i.e. in Co. Kilkenny. This one seems to have been named after the adjacent townland.

There are lots of spelling variants for place names, on OS maps etc the townland is spelt Money, you can see some of the alternates on Logainm (placename database) : https://www.logainm.ie/en/41232

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I've just spotted another graveyard, it's a little east / north east of Rath village in Raheenglass townland and borders Thomastown (Demesne). It seems to date from a little later as it's not shown on the older maps.. but might be worth considering : https://arcg.is/H9zCD

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. A local amateur historian seemed convinced Patrick Brien would be buried in Ballyboy churchyard. I even went there, looking around it one afternoon. She said the local parish priest would have burial records, but that she had asked him again and again to look through the records, but he never bothered. I even wrote to him myself and he never replied. But then on Family Search I found all these Briens buried in Thomastown. It says they are all from Money/Munny.
O`Brien and  Dunne.