Author Topic: Burials help  (Read 949 times)

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials help
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Was thinking earlier about something that might be significant. The family from what I can gather, were the poorest of the poor. I know in the Valuation Office records, they had no Lesser or landlord. A Genealogist explained to me this meant the property they lived in was so dilapidated they were charged no rent. If they were that poor, isn't it highly likely they were all buried in an unmarked, mass paupers grave? The reason I thought of this is because my half sister's dad , who died in Manchester in 1968, is buried in a mass paupers grave in Stretford Cemetery. I know Patrick owned two asses, or was in the care of them on the day he was caught allowing them to wander on the road. I understand only the very poorest of people owned asses. Could they all be buried in a mass paupers grave ? And all the ones I found on the Family Search website, that are buried together, including one who died literally the day before Patrick, on 26 April 1879, could it be that Patrick is buried in the same place too?
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 February 24 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Was thinking earlier about something that might be significant. The family from what I can gather, were the poorest of the poor. I know in the Valuation Office records, they had no Lesser or landlord. A Genealogist explained to me this meant the property they lived in was so dilapidated they were charged no rent. If they were that poor, isn't it highly likely they were all buried in an unmarked, mass paupers grave? The reason I thought of this is because my half sister's dad , who died in Manchester in 1968, is buried in a mass paupers grave in Stretford Cemetery. I know Patrick owned two asses, or was in the care of them on the day he was caught allowing them to wander on the road. I understand only the very poorest of people owned asses. Could they all be buried in a mass paupers grave ? And all the ones I found on the Family Search website, that are buried together, including one who died literally the day before Patrick, on 26 April 1879, could it be that Patrick is buried in the same place too?

Several things:

You say Patrick was the poorest of the poor? But he was an Army pensioner, and owned two asses?
That doesn't sound like the poorest of the poor to me.

Next, there are no Briens/O'Brien's in Money in Griffith's Valuation. Yet there are multiple Briens from Money listed as buried in Thomastown at around the same time that your Patrick died?
What are their names, DOD, and ages?  Are any of their deaths registered? What were their occupations?

What records did you find for burials in Thomastown on Familysearch, and what is the source of these records? I can't seem to locate any.

Finally, can you say which Catholic parish Money lies in? Birr? Kilcormac? ??
[To answer my own question - Kilcormac]
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 February 24 03:55 GMT (UK) »
"Thomastown" appears to be the church of St. John the Baptist, in Rath, on the cross roads with the townland of Thomastown. One of two churches in the parish of Eglish and Drumcullen.
https://www.eglishdrumcullen.com/

Not the parish Money lies in, which is Kilcormac.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:26 GMT (UK) »
His wife Anne, Nee Dunne, also from Munny, died in 1912 in Derrinboy. I can understand it being difficult to find where Patrick is buried, but Anne only died in 1912. One of her children, Laurence, died in 1915 and lived at the same address as his mother in Derrinboy.

I'm having difficulty with this. The 1901 and 1911 census returns show no Brien/O'Brien's at all in the townland of Derrinboy.
Further, there is only one Anne Brien death registered in Birr Union in 1912, this one, in Ferbane dsitrict, aged 80
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05364/4495683.pdf

A farmer's widow - hardly the poorest of the poor, so not your Anne? I can't identify the townland address, but it isn't Derrinboy.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:33 GMT (UK) »
One of her children, Laurence, died in 1915 and lived at the same address as his mother in Derrinboy.

Likewise, the only registered death I can find for a Laurence Brien 1915/16 in Birr Union is this one, and it isn't in Derrinboy.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05265/4461017.pdf

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 February 24 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Brien and Anne Dunne were married in the Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, on 1? July, 1863.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634430#page/25/mode/1up
Names of parents and addresses given.
Patrick's parents:  Laurence and Elizabeth, of Blackwood, Co. Kildare.
Anne's parents: Michael and Margaret of Mooney, Frankford [Frankford being the district of Kilcormac, Co. Offaly]

So Anne was a native of Money, but Patrick was from Co. Kildare.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 February 24 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Patrick and Anne's children:

Patrick, baptized ?/9/1863, Kilcormac
Laurence, do.    27/8/1865, do.
Michael, do.  ?/2/1868, do.
Bernard, do. ?/11/1872, do.