Author Topic: Burials help  (Read 946 times)

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
The Ballyboy churchyard is a Church of Ireland churchyard, and my family were Catholic. The historian said that even though they were Catholic they would still be buried in Ballyboy, which doesn't make sense to me at all. And then I found all the Thomastown records where lots of Briens from Munny are buried.
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 January 23 12:48 GMT (UK) »
The Ballyboy churchyard is a Church of Ireland churchyard, and my family were Catholic. The historian said that even though they were Catholic they would still be buried in Ballyboy, which doesn't make sense to me at all. And then I found all the Thomastown records where lots of Briens from Munny are buried.

very old graveyards were often shared, for all that lived in the parish of all denominations

some of these date from before the reformation

If your family were Catholic their burials may not have been recorded in the registers of this Church of Ireland parish

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 January 23 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Registers for Ballyboy Church of Ireland are held by the RCB Library, some of which are transcripts. There's a note on their latest list re 'Inquiry in 1951 showed that no copies were then available locally but that a vestry minute book, 1710-1789, containing baptismal entries to 1845 had been lodged in the RCBL.'

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I'm a dinosaur at posting links to people. This is what it says and where the record was found.  Ireland, Petty Session Court Register 1818-1918. Pat Brien. P.S.Order book CSPS 1/1/268. No. 311. Pat Brien Pensioner. Defendant. "That on 21st day of August 1875 at Thomastown in the Kings County the defendant did allow 2 asses to wander on the public road. Fined one Schilling. " Or words to that effect .

A minor point .
The one I see reads:
“That on 21st day of August 1875 at Streamstown in the Kings County Defendant did suffer his three asses to wander on the Public Road.”
Fined one Penny of costs.

Streamstown
https://www.townlands.ie/offaly/eglish/drumcullen/killyon/streamstown/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »

A minor point .
The one I see reads:
“That on 21st day of August 1875 at Streamstown in the Kings County Defendant did suffer his three asses to wander on the Public Road.”
Fined one Penny of costs.

Streamstown
https://www.townlands.ie/offaly/eglish/drumcullen/killyon/streamstown/

and gives his residence as Munny. The court is Thomastown (King's Co)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, of course.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 11:35 GMT (UK) »

Registers for Ballyboy Church of Ireland are held by the RCB Library, some of which are transcripts.

Here's the link to the List of Parish Registers.
See Ballyboy on page 12.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the replies. I will have to take my time and look over it all.
O`Brien and  Dunne.