Author Topic: Uruguay: Mr Cooper from Manchester died in 1901/02  (Read 271 times)

Offline richardjonw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uruguay: Mr Cooper from Manchester died in 1901/02
« on: Sunday 29 January 23 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Mr Cooper, first name I believe is William of Montevideo who seems to have died in 1902

My G G Grandfather is Richard Neill. I have correspondence from Richard Neill referring his bother, Mr Cooper of Montevideo who left him the sum of £150 in his will. In October 1902 Richard Neill Instructs a Mr Bellass of Hulme, Manchester to travel to Montevideo and recover the inheritance from a Miss Sarah Killeen.

There are passenger ship records shown travel of Mr W Bellass and a Miss F M Cooper to Buenos Aires in May 1902 and a return journey in July 1902. Miss Flora Cooper is on the English 1901 census residing with Mr William Bellass, aged 20 and born in Uruguay.

There is also an 1894 Passenger ship record showing Miss Flora Cooper aged 13, travelling from Montevideo to Liverpool with a Mr William Cooper, 61, and an Mrs Ellen Cooper, 58. Mr William Returns to Montevideo in September 1894 without Flora.

There is a gravestone in the British Cemetery in Montevideo for Ellen Courtnay Cooper who died on February 11 1895 aged 61. On the image she is listed as the wife of William Cooper.

My questions are:
- Who were William and Ellen Cooper? When did the immigrate to Uruguay and why? Where is William buried?
- I am assuming Flora Maud Cooper (1911 English Census) is the daughter of William and Ellen. Did William and Ellen have any other Children?

Ultimately I am looking to find a link between William Cooper and My GG grandfather Richard Neill. I am looking to find evidence of William and Ellen in Manchester, but not located and records as yet.

Any help on where to look for family history for ancestors in Uruguay appreciated.

Thanks, Richard Watkins

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uruguay: Mr Cooper from Manchester died in 1901/02
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 09:16 GMT (UK) »
deleted
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Probable marriage for Flora in Congleton in 1911, Father's name confirmed as William

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F35S-23C

She was in Congleton in the 1911 census

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

What can you tell us about Richard Neill. Did he have a connection to William Bellass?
Who was Sarah Killeen?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 11:12 GMT (UK) »
also what was Richard Neill's wife's maiden name?

Offline richardjonw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ - many thanks for your information!

I agree that Flora Maud Cooper was married to Horace Wooley Howard in 1911 and as per the 1921 census they had two children, Stanley and Philip. It looks like Flora died in 1927. Her probate record also mentions Montevideo in Congleton!

Now to Richard Neill. He was born 22nd October 1845 in Salford Manchester. He Married Mary Jane Smith in 1866. He was a Joiner like is father before him (Also called Richard Neill). He Died in 1907 in stockport Cheshire.

Those are the easy bits. From there it gets very complicated! On the Census the Neill name changes quite a bit between Neill Neild and Nield. Richard had two sisters, Eliza Ann and Jane. Eliza Ann Nield Married a Harry E Cooper in 1874. Eliza Ann Cooper died in 1877, so my first inclination was to think that Richard Neill was referring to his brother-in-law, however I have searched high and low and cannot find any evidence of Harry E Cooper going to South America. I believe I have located him on the 1881 and 1891 census as still living in Lancashire. Also I believe the person I am looking for is William Cooper from the link with Flora.

So if not Brother-in-Law then who is this Mr Cooper? In the 1871 Census I have located Richards Mother, Jane Neild (Jane ‘Gilbert’ Neild with the Gilbert crossed out) as a Widow (Husband, Richard, passed in 1870), born in shropshire, with Eliza Ann and Jane Neild. The next person down is a Harriet Cooper who is initially identified as a lodger, but it is crossed out and Daughter written above. She was born in 1844 a year before Richard. I Have obtained the Birth certificate for Richard Neild, Father Richard Neild, a joiner, born at 11 Smith Street Salford. His mother is recorded as Jane Neild ‘formerly Cooper’. Bingo.

This leads me to believe that Richards Mother may have had children out of wedlock, one of whom was Harriett, who I believe I have also found on the 1861 census working as a Domestic Servant in Salford aged 17. Could there also be a William Cooper somewhere? The William Cooper who travelled with Flora was 61 at the time which would make him an old parent, although not unusually so for those days perhaps. That would mean he was born in 1833. Jane Cooper was born in 1815, so that would make her 18 at the time of his birth. There is a big enough gap for her to be married before meeting Richard Neills Father prior to 1845, so Cooper may not be her maiden name. She was born in Shropshire (Newtown or Newington), so a first family could be from there.

I have never been able to find a Marriage record for Richard Neill’s Father and his mother, Jane Cooper. I have also struggled to find Richard Neill as a child on the 1851 census, which I know was damaged. However there is a record of a Richard Neill, occupation Joiner, living with a Jane Gilford born in Shropshire, a servant, who has 3 sons, Richard Gilford (who may be Richard Neill), James Gilford aged 3 and George Gilford aged 1. I have found death records for James Neill and George Neill in 1853 Age 5 and 3 who died on the same day in Salford, explaining why they are not on the 1861 census. I believe there was Cholera about at the time.

The 1851 record I believe to be correct, but where does  Gilford come from? Sounds like the ‘Gilbert’ removed from the 1871 census entry. Also interesting is Richard Neill shows as married, but Jane Gilford shows as a Widow. I can find no record of Marriage between Gilford and Cooper.

There are records of a Steven Norton Cooper and Jane Cooper who have a daughter, Harriett born around the same time. I believe these are different people.

I have no idea who Miss Sarah Killeen is other than Richard Neill requested that his inheritance should be paid from the estate left to her by Mr Cooper.

A lot of information, I know, but you did ask! That is the sum of more than 10 years research!