Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 5th February 2023  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 5th February 2023
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 01:01 GMT (UK) »
A big shout out to all at the Royal Bolton Hospital Neonatal Unit for a job well done  :D :D :D   from my SCBU. That must have been very frightening for your family.

Viktoria, you may have to send your cardis (come crop-top or bolero if shrunken) and slippers as our temperatures here are unseasonably plummeting. The humidity may make it seem warmer. 

I hope everyone who has been unwell is improving.

Sorry to hear it has been flooding across the ditch (as NZ says). I am glad you are okay Mare.

Brgidmac, you are always doing something interesting. Your drama sounds fantastic.

My most hated food is the banana.  I think it may be a food a bit like coriander.  Some people apparently think it tastes like soap.  I cannot stand the smell or taste of the banana.  There is a photo of me very small with either parent.  I am either in a strop (or sufficiently traumatised) as we are outside this:

https://bigbanana.com/

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Another shout to the memory of Howard Florey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Florey

A fellow Adelaidean and inventor of penicillin.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Candleflame, I am sorry to hear about your husband's Grandfather who was killed down the mine and your own Grandfather who was badly injured.  Such dangerous work! 
No amount of compensation could recompense. 
Yes, Viktoria I for one am proud of my mining ancestors for their resilience.  I would imagine Candleflame and other descendants of miners will be too.
I would have answered on last week's thread but I might get wrong from KGarrad.  ;)

I'm feeling really, really tired this morning after yesterdays 12 hour shift.  Last night, I happened to be rummaging in my bag for a few seconds and then glanced up and saw that first bus had sailed by.  :-\
When I got to the bus station, it was so cold and windy.  There was a football match on at St James Park  and I could hear the roar of singing.  At one point I could hear them belting out 'Blaydon Races'.  So loud, in a way I think that must be have been quite intimidating for the other team.  Singing like that I thought our team must be doing well.  I have since found out they won.  Howay the lads! :D
But anyway, I had a long wait at bus station and time seemed to really slow down.  Even reading my novel couldn't take my mind off how time was seeming to drag.  Even the next bus journey home seemed to take forever.  And the bus was cold.  Never mind.
I'm on a back shift today.
Nova, my sister used to hate bananas too.  I dislike coriander; it does have a detergent soapy taste to me. I have heard it is said to be a genetic thing.  Although I can manage a tiny amount.  I like the M&S veggie kiev which has it in as the garlic sauce is so yummy. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Bananas are good if you suffer from migraine, tested out by 2 migraine  sufferers  but they are not everyone's taste

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I think some people might need to be careful re potassium rich bananas as it might interfere with their medication, e.g. blood pressure. People could always check this out with their GP or Pharmacist if necessary.
I sometimes have a banana for a quick energy lift.
I love grapefruit.  I was worried I might have. to give this up when I went on statins  but I have been told I can still have a small amount.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
RTL, I am so sorry about your father's mining accident. Most of my English miners come from down south.  The Port of Newcastle NSW is the biggest coal exporter in the world, so some of my Australian relatives were miners.  My great-grandfather was a Mine Manager and also deserted his wife and 10 children aged 2-14 years.  Not good.

Meanwhile, Mr Fluffy Lad was swiping the mobile phone today. There is no end to his talents.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say that I asked an English colleague about a backshift but she said"What is that"? She is from Newcastle-Under-Lyme, so perhaps your theory about the origin of this term being in mining is correct.

I hope you can get some rest, RTL.  If it is any compensation, I had a pretty hairy night on Monday.  One of my little babies was very vocal and only had microsleeps.  I hope he is feeling better come tomorrow night.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I too dislike coriander  -toilet soap!
Bananas I like but high in potassium so my gout flares up.

I plan to go to Bury market today so will pop in to M&S and will get some veggie chicken Kievs if you don’t taste the  coriander.
Thanks L.M.
I want some ecru or cafe au lait coloured hand towels for the bathroom .

Rain rain go away!
Oh what long waits you have R.T.L. I don’t think I would have such fortitude !

Dying for a cuppa but have to wait a half hour before any caffeine ,fights with my thyroxine tablets.

One mining ancestor ,killed down the pit ,buried at a little Baptist Chapel ,on his gravestone a quote  from a Baptist hymn :-Number 347, verse 4 second half.
“ Not a single shaft shall hit
‘ Till the God of Love
  See fit”.
I think what an odd quote , he was cleaning the walls  of excrescences ,in a basket suspended down the 1000 ‘ shaft ,
Stuff like stalactites and stalagmites grew out from the brick  lined shaft ,and might have interfered with the smooth passage of the cage .

Well almost time for a cuppa.
Then off I shall troll ( in the words of Kenneth Williams in Round The Horn ,The Navy Lark and Beyond our Ken.) to  Bury.
Market day and there is a nice nousehold linen stall near the fish market ,might have proper Lancashire dishcloths ,oh luxury ,100 %cotton, large ,bleachable .
Look after yourselves ans thanks for the news.
Viktoria.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hurrah!  After five miserable weeks of sore throat, lost voice and rattling chesty cough I'm finally free of whatever it was (not Covid -tested negative, not flu - didn't have a temperature, not a runny nose kind of cold either).  And whatever it is is doing the rounds in my neighbourhood and affecting lots of people.  It's quite exhausting, mostly because you can't sleep at night ... 

"didn't have a temperature"

Since "influenza" my temperature taken at appointments was sometimes 1.5 to 2 degs C. lower than standard body temperature.

So I wouldn't rule any illness in, or out, on the basis of temperature.

I had to be examined by a Doctor recently and the only question I was asked before the appointment was offered, was ... Do you have a cough or have you had a cough recently?

No, but I still masked up though.

I hope you get well soon (Summer is on the way), Mark