Author Topic: help with grandfather's WW2 POW records  (Read 972 times)

Offline Lee Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with grandfather's WW2 POW records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 February 23 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that helpful suggestion, I will do that next week. Cheers
Dylan

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 February 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Where could I find out which transports, that carried prisoners, were sunk during this time period?
Hi Dylan,
This file at TNA Kew WO 361/133 - https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s4j/ is a casualty list for some of those ships sunk with PoW's aboard. As your g/father was a survivor this may or may not be of help but worth considering.
Also some information here: https://rommelsriposte.com/2010/05/22/the-tragedy-of-the-pows-killed-at-sea/

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Lee Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 February 23 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh, thank you so much for this information.
I've done a little research myself and cannot find evidence of any other Italian ships containing Allied POWs that were sunk in December 1941 besides the Sebastiano Venier.
Do you think the Royal Navy may have records of the ships they sunk in this area in December 1941?
It would be to confirm if he was on this ship.
I've read the link you provide from the Crusader Project and it sounds like only one ship was sunk in December 1941: the Sebastiano Venier. Do you think it fairly certain that this was the ship on which my grandfather sailed?
It also says that the men from this ship did not reach Italy until March 1942 yet the MOD records for my grandfather say he was in Rome in January 1942. I'm not sure how to explain that discrepancy.
Thank you so much for your help it means alot to my family. We are all still somewhat surprised that he never told us anything about his experinces and never mentioned he was a POW.
Thank you Dylan Murphy

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 February 23 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dylan,
I was not sure when the surviors reached Italy so you may need to keep an opened mind about that ship. I see you have approached Andreas on the Crusader site - you will be in good hands there I am sure.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Lee Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 February 23 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh, I have received my grandfather's discharge papers from the MOD. Please see the attached document. It says that as a POW he was in Greece, Italy and Germany in that order. Does that not support the idea that he was on  the Veniero?
Many thanks
Dylan

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 February 23 09:55 GMT (UK) »
It says that as a POW he was in Greece, Italy and Germany in that order. Does that not support the idea that he was on  the Veniero?
Hi Lee,
As a researcher, I have learned only to have a lead and either rule it in or rule it out through continued research. So until it is verified one way or the other I tend to just keep going with the research. VENIERO has to be a contender but that is all it is at this stage.
Regards
Hugh   
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO