Author Topic: Unknown tapestry.  (Read 693 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Unknown tapestry.
« on: Monday 30 January 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I have made contact with a close family member and she has a treasure trove of unknown photos this one included . Could SKS tell me the significance of this sweet little tapestry . T.Y .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown tapestry.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 23 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what RPA stands for ,but this item is very like the WW1 souvenirs ,made by French and Belgian women, sold to British soldiers to send back home to wives,mothers and family
Exquisitely embroidered by hand , they were usually framed and some still survive.
Have you anyone in your ancestors who served in WW1 ,not sure if this carried on to WW2 .
If it is WW1 is at least 103 + years old and looks in wonderful condition.
The little blue flowers are Forget me Nots, —- very poignant.
Treasure it .
Viktoria.
Just looked again, and what looked at first like a P now looks like an F, so Royal Field Artillery .
There are better experts than I on R,C so you might get a better answer.
Viktoria.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
It is the RFA, the Royal Field Artillery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Field_Artillery

The word above the gun is “UBIQUE” (“everywhere”).
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 23 18:12 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful as it goes with the photo of the soldiers I put up earlier this week  . I did have a relative in the Royal Fusiliers but the photo we now think is of a group of men in the 506 Battery and from research my great uncle Arthur Earnest Wharton was in the 11th . He was killed in WW1 in France on 29 th April 1916 . He wasn’t a young man at the time . Thank you for any help . Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I thought you would be interested after Vicktoria reply . This is the back of tapestry . All very exciting and nteresting . Thanks . Fred

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:51 GMT (UK) »
The backing is a postcard,like those we used yonks ago for brief messages.
 The hand embroidered fabric would be mounted on such cards ,perhaps by the women embroidresses or perhaps someone who had a small business making these lovely souvenirs ,buying the embroidery from the ladies who did it.
It is very very poignant .
Thanks for the extra info.
Viktoria,

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 23 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure of any major engagement in April 1916, The Battle if The Somme dd not start until July 1916.
However there was continuous fighting ,have you a place name where he was killed?
Viktoria.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 23 21:44 GMT (UK) »
There are some very similar pieces of embroidery here and on the next couple of pages
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=822918.msg6862317#msg6862317
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 23 21:54 GMT (UK) »
This just says France . Not very helpful . But someone here will possibly know what battle was near Carnoy Cemetery . What I discovered today is that his brother Norman Lacey Wharton … who survived … was one regimental number different . So I wonder if they enlisted same day . All I can think of is their poor parents . They had lost children in infancy . It really was hard times . Fred .