Author Topic: Kilmory - Is "Crawford" the same as "McGraffan"  (Read 861 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Kilmory - Is "Crawford" the same as "McGraffan"
« on: Wednesday 01 February 23 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know whether Crawford and McGraffan are variations of the same surname, and used interchangeably in Kilmory (c1770's)?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmory - Is "Crawford" the same as "McGraffan"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't have thought it. The name McGraffan does not appear in Black's "Surnames of Scotland". Looking at the OPR indexes on ScotlandsPeople, the name seems to be confined to the island of Arran, with a couple of instances in Ardrossan and Stevenston on the Ayrshire coast across from Arran.

The name Crawford comes from a place-name in Lanarkshire.
What makes you wonder if they are the same?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 12:13 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has 91 entries for the surname Crawford c 1772-1801 in Kilmory.

+ 2 for McGraffan;

Kathrine MCGRAFFAN
John ROBISON Marriage 1724

Alexr MCGRAFFAN Bapt 28 Jul 1777

+ using soundex option several entries  1701-1779 eg under  MCGRAFAN/MCGRAFFEN/MCGRAFFON etc.

Trish :)
(from Hamilton NZ)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 15:25 GMT (UK) »
This is from Wikipedia and there are similar references elsewhere.

“The surname Crawford corresponds to the Scottish Gaelic MacCreamhain and the Irish de Cráfort, Mac Crábhagáin, and Mac Raith.”

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Black is more academically rigorous than Wikipedia! He says that Crawford and variants are of territorial orgin from the place in the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire.

MacCreamhain is a Gaelic patronymic, i.e. "son of Creamhain" which would sound more like MacCreaven, 'mh' being pronounced like 'v'.

Does Wikipedia give any sort of source for its statement?

I doubt that there is any historically proven connection between Crawford and McGraffan, but that doesn't mean that they could not have been used as if there were. There are plenty of examples of unconnected names that have come to be used interchangeably - Janet/Jessie and Donald/Daniel being the most obvious. Why not Crawford/McGraffan?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I only quoted it as a possibility.  :)

I was thinking of Irish really with ‘ea’ as ‘a’ sound and as you say ‘mh’ as ‘v’ so perhaps it could have a similar pronunciation to ‘McGraffan’.

Here is the Wikipedia reference for the source
“Mark, C (2003). The Gaelic-English Dictionary. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-203-27706-6.”
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Have to have a look at that dictionary and see where the statement comes from. It looks inherently unlikely that a surname of territorial origin and a patronymic would be from the same source, but you never know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 18:37 GMT (UK) »
GR2. My query was initiated by the case of Catherine McNeil - FamilySearch Ref KHNK-BRF

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 21:42 GMT (UK) »
GR2. My query was initiated by the case of Catherine McNeil - FamilySearch Ref KHNK-BRF

I see it says Isabel Crawford or McGraffan. In Scotland women are always referred to by their maiden names in legal documents and in the OPRs. If they are married, their married surname can be added in the format "or xxxxx". So Isabel Crawford is her maiden name, and being married to Mr McGraffan, she is officially Isabel Crawford or McGraffan.