Author Topic: Jane Booth Grinsell  (Read 176 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Booth Grinsell
« on: Friday 03 February 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I had tried to find the will of Jane Grinsell (nee Booth) born 1629, wife of Humphrey Grinsell and the step daughter of Emery Hill.
Here is her burial record (found in FindMyPast):
20 Mar 1671 Mrs. Jane Grinsell, Burials (Burial), St. Margaret Westminster - Parish Registers, 1666-1699
Her will is referenced in the UK Archives link below because of her charity: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/cf52b041-5ff5-4d65-9ceb-adb84c6cd2a1 .
I cannot find her will (written in 1670 but again she died in 1671) in the UK Archive collection. My guess is this is probably due to a spelling variation-tried Grinsell and Grimsell. I have also tried the larger genealogy databases without luck. Thanks for any advice!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Booth Grinsell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 23 18:32 GMT (UK) »
This book:
https://archive.org/details/b28710629/page/538/mode/2up?

states that the bequest took effect in 1675, upon the death of the foundress's husband, to whom the estate was reserved during his lifetime. I am not sure how this would have changed the normal process of proving a will. Perhaps someone on here with more relevant expertise will be able to advise you.

You could always contact the City of Westminster Archives Centre to request a scan of the transcription, but this would obviously incur a charge.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Booth Grinsell
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 23 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the link QueenoftheWest! I appreciate your help and suggestion.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton