Author Topic: Passenger ship look up please  (Read 976 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger ship look up please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 February 23 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

You can view the actual image here:
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s3b/
(FamilySearch)
They are numbers 511 and 512.

I wonder if James arrived in Canada in May (secured lodging and a job), sailed back to collect his family, and sailed back to North America again?  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 February 23 10:38 GMT (UK) »

Terrific, well found.
Did come across this entry late last night which might have fitted :- Canada Passenger Lists  - Jas McKenzie born 1859 and 28 years. Carptr.
Departure Port:   Glasgow, Scotland; Liverpool, England
Arrival Date 5 May 1887   Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Vessel Norwegian.

Sandra

Looking at the image on Anc*try, his destination was Toronto.  Seems too coincidental not to be him.  The man mentioned above his name:
Adam? Ross? (purely a guess!), age 22, Carptr, destination Toronto.

I will try to finally this man; perhaps he might tie in?

Added:  James’ age is recorded as 28 but looking at the image (which is very fuzzy), his age actually could be 25, which is a better fit for your man.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 February 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lisa for the link. I see part of the transcribed entry reads J.W McKenzie but I would agree with the Mrs going by other Js and Ms. alexina might have helped us out by putting at least her initial!!

Finding their sailing, some might think, is not so important but I like to get a picture of my ancestors life and leaving your family behind and setting up a new life far away is very much part of researching and getting a feel for what they might have gone through.

Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 February 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
It is aggravating not to have complete information (on records).

I agree with you; I feel like I get to know my ancestors and once I’ve spent a good amount of time searching, I feel like something is missing if I don’t have all of their information.

I will post a bit about Adam Ross in a moment…

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 February 23 11:02 GMT (UK) »
This could be for the gent who sailed on the “Quebec ship” (that is, if his name actually is Adam Ross)…

Adam Ross, parents John Ross and Margaret Falconer
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s3c/

Perhaps he didn’t know your James but was simply recorded directly above James’ name on the passenger list.  Or, perhaps he met him just prior to the sailing.  Or, did he live in the same town as James?  It might be worth following up with him.

I better stop for tonight; It’s 3:00 am here.  ;D  Good night for now, Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 February 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Me again.  According to one family tree:

Adam Ross was born in Duffus, Moray, Scotland.
In Toronto in 1885.
Was back in Elgin, Morayshire in 1901.
Back in Toronto in 1911.

I found another passenger list (don’t remember the year but it was after 1887), that had his name and other Falconer names above his. They were headed to Toronto.  He certainly liked to sail.

This time I’m leaving.  ;D

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 February 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
You beat me to it Lisa. There is a site called libindx. It is brilliant for researching ancestors from the Morayshire area. I had just made the connection and about to reply to you. I think you might be right in thinking they may have known each other. Worth exploring, or just a coincidence and they befriended each other. I wonder how the passenger list is compiled. The fact that their names are together. Does that mean they booked at the same time. Questions, questions. I hope your brain can shut down and you get a good sleep. It is late morning here in Scotland but you are a late bedder.

Thanks again
Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 February 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »
On the sailing of Mrs McKenzie and James could someone decipher the column after the gender of the person. It is headed ‘calling’ on the fist page. It is probably something quite simple but I can’t make it out. It is quoted for several passengers.
Thanks
Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 February 23 17:24 GMT (UK) »
On the sailing of Mrs McKenzie and James could someone decipher the column after the gender of the person. It is headed ‘calling’ on the fist page. It is probably something quite simple but I can’t make it out. It is quoted for several passengers.
Thanks
Betty

Just here for a moment…

It is the person’s occupation.  A line was drawn across the column for her.

…I wonder how the passenger list is compiled. The fact that their names are together. Does that mean they booked at the same time…

I believe that we cannot tell if they booked at the same time for this passenger list (I’m sure someone will advise if I am incorrect).  I think (some? all?) later passenger lists have ticket numbers which helps identify booking order.