Author Topic: Passenger ship look up please  (Read 979 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger ship look up please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 February 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explanation for occupation. I realise now that it was a line. I was thinking it was a repeat of the one above which I could not read but that would have been a ditto. Should have thought about it a bit more.
Thanks
Betty

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 February 23 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explanation for occupation…

You are welcome.

Are you aware there is a possibility that Alexina’s relative may have lived in Toronto? I think the man’s name was Charles Reed/Reid.  I will look for him if you haven’t run across him before.  I will explain how I found him if you haven’t previously bumped into him.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 February 23 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I am intrigued. Look forward to hearing where you are going with this. With the time difference where we live it will tomorrow my time before I can get back to you.
Thanks
Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 February 23 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

I didn’t want to go in to detail if you already knew about Mr. Reed/Reid.  It was early in the search, when I was trying to find the McKenzies on census returns that I saw a possible address for James.  I searched Anc*try using only the address (hoping to find records for James) and ran across a Charles? Reed in a Toronto Directory.  (Shown under Reed, but the notation for all Reeds stated alternatives could be Reid and one or two other spellings.) I believe his occupation was Lumber something.

I hope the above makes sense.  I’ve been interrupted several times since starting this.  :(  I will try to look now (as I’m curious).

Just for laughs, I think the address was 94 or 96 Markham (Toronto).  Let’s see if I’m anywhere close to remembering the address I saw.  ;D

Added: or, Mr. Reed lived north of St. James Cemetery (I looked at an address for someone in that location, too).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 February 23 23:51 GMT (UK) »
1888. Eliza Bella McKenzie born December 16, 1888.  Parents James McKenzie (carpenter) & Alexina Reid.
Informant and Address: James McKenzie, 196 Markham Street, Toronto.

Toronto Directories
1896.  Charles J. Reed, pntr  H M Stevenson, h 196 Markham.
  Notation for Reed:  Reed  see also Read, Reade, Reece, and Reed.  So, Charles most likely was Reed.
1896.  James McKenzie, carp.  W. Simpson, h 515 Crawford.  Your James?

I’ve not yet found this man’s place of birth, but it could be Ontario.  It’s looking more like a coincidence than a relative.  Hopefully, I (or someone else) can find out one way or another.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 February 23 07:39 GMT (UK) »
I think this fellow is the lumber reference (whom I originally also found in a later directory):

1891 Toronto census, St. Patrick’s Ward (possibly Markham Street was in this ward)
Charles Reid, age 30, born Ontario as were parents, lumber merchant

I’ve not exhausted searching, but I haven’t found a Charles Reid, born in Scotland in Toronto c1890’s.

However, don’t rule out siblings settling in Ontario.  I thought an ancestor (and his wife) were the only ones to leave Ireland and settled in Ontario.  The man’s parents and several adult siblings arrived around the same time and his wife’s brother also settled near them.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa
Thank you for all your research. We certainly can’t rule out them joining a relative. I have not researched the Reid side but I do know that a descendant who lived in Canada has done a lot of research. It will be quite a find if we find this connection.

Thanks again
Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 February 23 09:02 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome.  You most likely know about this site, but I’m mentioning it in case you haven’t run across it…

https://digitalarchive.tpl.ca/

Among other things, you can search for old city photographs, which I find amazing.  I could barely see the name of the shop, but I found my ancestor’s fancy goods establishment in one old photo.  I was thrilled to find it.

Best of luck with all of your searches.  :)  Lisa

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link. I was aware of it but not explored it fully.
Thanks meantime. I need to explore the names Mckenzie and Ross from the sailing. I will begin with Ross and see where that leads me.

I need to do some boring mundane tasks ie house work,first or nothing  will get done.
Thanks
Betty