Author Topic: Passenger ship look up please  (Read 975 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger ship look up please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »
After a quick search, I haven’t found the family in 1901 (in Toronto).  What immigration year is recorded on the census returns, please?

Like Sandra mentioned, it is quite likely that they sailed directly to Canada.  However, I believe I found an ancestor sailing to New York even though his uncle was already living in Ontario. He immediately settled in Toronto so I’m not sure why he would have sailed to New York.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the family in 1901. Click on split screen at the top for the image…this gives extra info. Youngest child apparently born in the USA.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=105665&highlight=32&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Alexina+McKenzie

PB.

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 February 23 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, PB!  Also, thank you for the instructions; it’s been a few years since I’ve used the website.

So, they possibly sailed in 1888, if the date is to be believed.  (I have a couple of census returns where incorrect dates were given/recorded.)

Added: for future reference (in case it is needed), Anc*try has
1901 - James McKerzie, Alexina, B James, Eliza and Alexina
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 23 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the sailing(s), found on Anc*try…

Ethiopia, arrived 12 July 1887, New York.  Departure port - Glasgow, Scotland and Moville, Ireland. Place of Origin:   Scotland
James Mc Kenzie. Scottish (Scottish), 26, born abt 1861, Joiner

Ethiopia, arrived 19 September 1887, New York.  Departure port - Glasgow, Scotland and Moville, Ireland.  Place of Origin:   Scotland
Mrs. Mc Kenzie. Scottish (Scottish), 27, born abt 1860
Jas, age 1 year 6 months, born about 1886

Possibly James sailed first, with the plan that his family would follow?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 23 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Great finds! Sure look promising. I believe the men often came ahead to get settled somewhere before sending for family.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 February 23 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, PB.  Same back to you finding them in 1901!  :)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 February 23 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Polar Bear and Lisa

Thank you so much for taking the time and finding the sailing records of James and his family. The records that you found would certainly fit with everything quoted. On Ancestry where you found it is the entry a copy of the ships passenger list or is it a transcription. I wonder if I can get a copy at our local library through Ancestry. We can access so much but not everything is accessible through our library card. Not sure if you are allowed to send me a copy?

I have spent a lot of time on researching this side of the family and the sailing is about the last thing to research.
Thanks again.
Betty

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 February 23 09:48 GMT (UK) »

Terrific, well found.
Did come across this entry late last night which might have fitted :- Canada Passenger Lists  - Jas McKenzie born 1859 and 28 years. Carptr.
Departure Port:   Glasgow, Scotland; Liverpool, England
Arrival Date 5 May 1887   Quebec, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Vessel Norwegian.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 February 23 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Your find Sandra could well be my James. I need to think about this. James did refer to himself as a carpenter rather than a joiner but one would think that the family would travel the same route. Which would make the New York arrival right for James. If the sailing for the family is wrong it is a bit of a coincidence that name and ages fit.

More thought required. Coincidences happen and assumptions can be wrong.

Thanks
Betty