Author Topic: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record  (Read 1382 times)

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record
« on: Saturday 04 February 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am a bit stumped finding a death record my 3rd great grandmother, Bridget McIvor Nee Kerr.

She was born in Louth Ireland, 26 - Jan - 1837.

Her parents: Mary Gallagher and Michael Kerr.

Her husband Hugh McKeever/McIvor ran off to the USA leaving her and the kids to raise alone.

She was still alive in Glasgow early 1887 as she registered the birth of my Great Grandmother, Elizabeth McIvor (Mooney (born out of wedlock).

Her husband had a whole new family in the USA and never kept in contact with the family he left in Scotland.

Its possible possible Bridget had another child, Elizabeth (raised) McIvor when she was about 16 who appears with a misspelt last name in 1891 census with her sister, Mary McIvor.

DNA ties me back to Bridget with her other daughter Catherine.

Any ideas what could have happened to Bridget's death record? Surely could not have gone unrecorded at that date?

Many thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Could she have died in Ireland?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:34 GMT (UK) »
What is the last census you have found Bridget on & was surname spelt McIvor or McKeever?

When did her husband Hugh go to the USA

Hugh Mooney & Mary McIvor married 1887 - have you downloaded a copy of the marriage cert to confirm she was the daughter of Bridget nee Kerr

If the above print is the 1891 census as you say - Elizabeth was 50 so born 1841.  How could Bridget be her mother is she was only born 1837?

Are you using info from somebody else's tree??  If so - many trees on Ancestry contain inaccurate info.  You need to do your own research
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
What is the last census you have found Bridget on & was surname spelt McIvor or McKeever?

Hugh Mooney & Mary McIvor married 1887

Hi, Hughs naturalisation petition says 1854 but that was not right as his DNA was fathering his daughters in Scotland (i match for them and also my cousins, Hughs US decendants)! Also the ship he claims to sailed on did not sail at that time.

He made the claim in 1913 and died a few years later.

It was a well known family story passed down about how he ran off. There was never such stories about Bridget going out to find him.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
But where are the Scottish census records for Bridget? 

What are the names & birthyears of the daughters he allegedly fathered in Scotland? 

Have you found those daughters on any census prior to their respective marriages with Bridget?

If they married - have you downloaded their marriage certs to confirm their parentage

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to start with your grandmother.  If she is deceased - tell  us her name, birthyear, birthplace & parents names.  Her parents names must be from her marriage cert

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »

Hugh Mooney & Mary McIvor married 1887 - have you downloaded a copy of the marriage cert to confirm she was the daughter of Bridget nee Kerr

If the above print is the 1891 census as you say - Elizabeth was 50 so born 1841.  How could Bridget be her mother is she was only born 1837?

Are you using info from somebody else's tree??  If so - many trees on Ancestry contain inaccurate info.  You need to do your own research

Hello!

I think its all got a bit confusing!

Mary and Hugh are both legit. They did have my grandmother called Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Mcloor (i suspect a spelling mistake), her age i suspect is wrong on the census. A record for her suggests she was actually 47 when she died in 1900.

Bridget never appears on census after about 1851 as a kid.

He married Hugh, 19 Sep 1862.

Its possible in the 1901 census she appears as a washerwoman aged 61, cant really confirm that. Others on the census are not relatives.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:17 GMT (UK) »
OK - so presumably your grandmother is the 5yr old Elizabeth on the 1891 census.

Have you downloaded a copy of the 1887 Mooney/McIvor marriage cert confirming who Mary's parents were? 

The 1891 says Mary was b Glasgow 1863 so unless you have already downloaded the marriage cert & confirmed her parents were Hugh McIvor & Bridget Kerr I think you need to do so

The 50yr old Elizabeth on the 1891 entry is shown as sister - not sister in law - which indicates she could be the married sister of Hugh Mooney

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I think its all got a bit confusing!
It has indeed. You need to start from scratch and list all the known information in order.

He married Hugh, 19 Sep 1862.
I take it that 'he' is Bridget Kerr?

The IGI lists two daughters of Hugh McIvor and Bridget Kerr
Mary, 8 October 1862 in Glasgow
Catherine, 26 November 1863 in Strathblane.
Are there any others?

I see you are using an Ancestry transcription of the 1891 census. As well as mistranscribing some names, this omits some of the information in the original. You need to use a decent transcription or better still look at the original at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Hugh Mooney, head, 50, married, stone miner, born Ireland
Mary Mooney, wife, 28 born Glasgow
Elizabeth Mooney, daughter, 5, born Milngavie
Mary Ann Mooney, daughter, 3, ditto
Hugh Mooney, son, 6 weeks, ditto
Elizabeth McIvor, sister, 50, widow, born Ireland

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.