Author Topic: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record  (Read 1380 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 February 23 20:22 GMT (UK) »
From someone's online tree (could be yours  ;)), clip from the 1862 marriage for Hugh and Bridget below:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
From someone's online tree (could be yours  ;)), clip from the 1862 marriage for Hugh and Bridget below:

Thanks! I think i have all the documents "somewhere"  :D

With the risk of sounding silly, how does this help me find her death certificate though?

Between 1891 and 1920 there are about 581 Elizabeth Kerrs, many less Bridgets. None of the Elizabeth's are mentioning Gallagher as a mothers maiden name.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »

Elizabeth Mcloor (i suspect a spelling mistake), her age i suspect is wrong on the census. A record for her suggests she was actually 47 when she died in 1900.

Have you had a look at this death reg? I don't think it connects to your lines. This Elizabeth was married to both Kerr and McIvor and father Menzies.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been spending a while looking for Briget's death. Can't see anything so far that looks promising in terms of following up  :-\

She may have taken up with another man and name registrations might get more confusing. Hugh left her in the late 1860s?   Mother's maiden names are  being added to the search indexes. Still not 100% though. There is also the possibility as always that a mistake could have been made or it was not known at the time of reporting a death.

Monica

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The US 1900 census for Hugh McIvor b 1841 Scotland shows both his parents were born Scotland.  The 1880 US census shows the same info

Do you think this is my GGGG grandfather or someone else?! Its a great mystery, some things add up but some don't. The DNA matches, some of his claims do not.

I presume this man you have seen ends up owning land Minnesota? Has a first son called Hugh...!

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Elizabeth Mcloor (i suspect a spelling mistake), her age i suspect is wrong on the census. A record for her suggests she was actually 47 when she died in 1900.

Have you had a look at this death reg? I don't think it connects to your lines. This Elizabeth was married to both Kerr and McIvor and father Menzies.

Monica

Thanks Monica, I did not buy that entry as i was not really sure if it was relevant. I thought it would ask on here and see if anyone could "suss out" what, if anything was missing.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been spending a while looking for Briget's death. Can't see anything so far that looks promising in terms of following up  :-\

She may have taken up with another man and name registrations might get more confusing. Hugh left her in the late 1860s?   Mother's maiden names are  being added to the search indexes. Still not 100% though. There is also the possibility as always that a mistake could have been made or it was not known at the time of reporting a death.

Monica

I am 90% sure Hugh went after the kids were born, I am related, along with my other cousins to Catherine's GG grand children and also to Hughs American kids. That presumes they have the right guy on their trees.

I do wonder about another man or if people died in a "poor house" if its possible they slipped through a decent death registration. I know there were a few bad ones of old women at the end of the 1800's in Glasgow. Ones conditions were described conditions a stepping stone between Glasgow and hell!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Life could be brutal for many, both in the countryside and the large towns  :-\

What happened with Catherine McIver, Mary's sister. She married? Have you seen her reg for this and death registration?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Deaths in the workhouses were all reported to the registrars' offices. A problem with these sometimes is that full information was not always known, such as the deceased person's parents' names.

Monica