Author Topic: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record  (Read 1379 times)

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I think its all got a bit confusing!
It has indeed. You need to start from scratch and list all the known information in order.

He married Hugh, 19 Sep 1862.
I take it that 'he' is Bridget Kerr?

The IGI lists two daughters of Hugh McIvor and Bridget Kerr
Mary, 8 October 1862 in Glasgow
Catherine, 26 November 1863 in Strathblane.
Are there any others?

I see you are using an Ancestry transcription of the 1891 census. As well as mistranscribing some names, this omits some of the information in the original. You need to use a decent transcription or better still look at the original at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Hugh Mooney, head, 50, married, stone miner, born Ireland
Mary Mooney, wife, 28 born Glasgow
Elizabeth Mooney, daughter, 5, born Milngavie
Mary Ann Mooney, daughter, 3, ditto
Hugh Mooney, son, 6 weeks, ditto
Elizabeth McIvor, sister, 50, widow, born Ireland

Hi and thanks! I should not have mentioned this other Elizabeth as i can see how its sent us off track b/c of the name cross over with my own great grandmother. I am not confused about these two people.

One i wanted to find Bridgets death cert.
Two i wanted to know if the Elizabeth above is Bridgets kid - this is not that important at the moment.

I did mean "She" in reference to marriage with Hugh McIvor.

I will start putting in all the records in a response to CaroleW.

I appreciate you patience!

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:30 GMT (UK) »
OK - so presumably your grandmother is the 5yr old Elizabeth on the 1891 census.

Have you downloaded a copy of the 1887 Mooney/McIvor marriage cert confirming who Mary's parents were? 

The 1891 says Mary was b Glasgow 1863 so unless you have already downloaded the marriage cert & confirmed her parents were Hugh McIvor & Bridget Kerr I think you need to do so

The 50yr old Elizabeth on the 1891 entry is shown as sister - not sister in law - which indicates she could be the married sister of Hugh Mooney

Hi Carole

Thanks for your help, the wedding cert. has a different name for the mother. This certificate seems to have been amended a few times, on the first example Hugh's Mum was written as Marys Mum!! It was a family joke for quite sometime.

I dont know if it was bad day or what....!

I have included my own great grand mothers birth registration, where you can see Bridget as the maternal grandmother.

If you think my research is wrong, i am happy to be set straight. I am looking for "truth" rather than saying what i am giving you is what i believe to correct now make it work, if you see what i mean?

Its the DNA that puts me with my known cousins from Mary McIvors sister Catherine etc.

Grateful as always.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Just to touch on married sister, it might be, i cant get a record for Elizabeth or her marrying a McIvor. Hugh and siblings are from Co Londonderry and i have everyone of there baptism records.

On later census in Co Londonderry, most of the kids seem to think they were born in the same year. Not possible of course, but most say they cant read or write either....!

Grateful as always.
[/quote]

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
So at the time of her birth in 1862 Mary's mother is Bridget, but when Mary marries and dies her mother is Elizabeth.

Is the Elizabeth McIvor in the 1891 census actually Bridget Kerr, then? Have you looked for a death registration naming her as Elizabeth Kerr or McIvor?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:44 GMT (UK) »
So at the time of her birth in 1862 Mary's mother is Bridget, but when Mary marries and dies her mother is Elizabeth.

Is the Elizabeth McIvor in the 1891 census actually Bridget Kerr, then? Have you looked for a death registration naming her as Elizabeth Kerr or McIvor?

Thanks, good point. Looking through Scotlands people, I will have to guess the person/age. None match Elizabeth with Gallagher as her mothers maiden name.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

Have you got the marriage entry for Bridget and Hugh that you can add here?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:54 GMT (UK) »
There were 2 other Mary McIvors born Lanarkshire.

In 1871 I think the one living in Stirling is probably the one you are researching given the 1887 marriage was in Stirling.  She is with paternal grandparents John & Catherine McIvor - both b County Derry

Tracking John & Catherine back to 1851 they have a son Hugh aged 9 b Coatbridge Lanarkshire.  In 1861 they have another son John aged 9 b Glasgow.  John is still with his parents in 1881.  Mother Catherine died 1890

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:57 GMT (UK) »

She was born in Louth Ireland, 26 - Jan - 1837.

Her parents: Mary Gallagher and Michael Kerr.

Bridget already in Glasgow/Barony by 1851 maybe?

Michael Ker 30 general lab b. Ireland
Mary Ker 34 b. Ireland
Bridget Ker 12 b. Ireland

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 February 23 20:02 GMT (UK) »
The US 1900 census for Hugh McIvor b 1841 Scotland shows both his parents were born Scotland.  The 1880 US census shows the same info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)