Author Topic: Thomas Vipond My Brick Wall  (Read 227 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Vipond My Brick Wall
« on: Saturday 04 February 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »
For years I have been trying to situate Thomas Vipond who married Mary Joslin in 1783 in St Marylebone. There seem to be hundreds of Thomas Viponds from Cumberland, Durham, North Yorkshire and parts of London.

Looking about London in that era I do find a Thomas Vipond marrying a Mary Daniel in St George's "Chapel" Hanover Sq in the Clandestine marriages in 1753 - that would make him old enough to be the father of the Marylebone Thomas. Curiously this fellow was from "Cheswick" presumably Chiswick and Mary Daniels from Queenhithe.

What would Chiswick's relationship be to Westminster in that era and Queenhithe's as well/ Was there any industry related between them?

Am I jumping to conclusions about a marriage at St George's Hanover Sq and another at Marylebone - is their relative closeness a false clue?

I'm just wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Vipond My Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

What were the names of Thomas' children? I can see a Sarah in 1786, are there any others? I'm just thinking about traditional naming patterns.

Have you found Thomas' death record and does it give an age at death?

I can see another Vipond couple at St. Marylebone around this time: John & Charlotte Vipond, who baptised their children Thomas, William and Sophia there. I wonder if they are relatives?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.

Well I've located all of those - assuming John might be his brother. I've found no other children, nor a death date. His wife Mary Joslin seems to have remarried as a widow in 1795 to William Ward a widower suggesting that he had died prior to 1795.

As I've said, there are Thomas Viponds of the right age group all over but I can find any moving to London. A number seem to be cordwainers or bootmakers - would such a person leave Cumberland and set up in London at that time?

I have many questions but I'm stymied.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
An interesting fact is that this John Vipond and wife Charlotte seem to come from Bermondsey, yet their children are all baptized in St Marylebone. If John is the brother or close relative of My Thomas then his origins might be across the Thames - but the problem is I can't find him there.

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 20:10 GMT (UK) »
A number seem to be cordwainers or bootmakers - would such a person leave Cumberland and set up in London at that time?

The late 1700s saw the collapse of agricultural communities so farm labourers moved to the cities in the midlands and London. Tradesmen like cordwainers had to follow where their clients went so went "tramping" looking for work. They helped one another and town guilds would help tramping tradesmen with temporary lodgings and advice about where to look for work.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!