Author Topic: The Meaning of Heraldic Devices  (Read 446 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Meaning of Heraldic Devices
« on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

The coat of arms in the attached picture was granted by the King of Hungary to Johannes Ribstein, doctor of medicine in 1622. Ribstein's academic achievements, his subsequent career in medicine (including service in the Imperial Army during the sieges of Ottomon-held Buda) and his dedication to his adopted city earned him the recognition of the lords and commoners alike, leading to his elevation to the untitled nobility of Hungary.

Translated from the Latin original, the coat of arms is described as follows:

An upright escutcheon in five different parts: lower left and upper right, on a red field, two swans swimming, each holding a laurel wreath in their beaks; lower right and upper left, on a yellow field, two black lions rampant, each with a palm frond in the forefeet, red tongues extended, erect forked tails: in the middle another shield, the fifth part, is positioned, blue with green edging and bottom section, Pallas clothed in yellow is seen holding out a crown in her right hand and a palm frond in her left. Above the escutcheon, an open or barred helm, insignia of the highest nobility, and the emblem of the Equestrian Order, a royal crown, another Pallas set between two eagles’ wings, red-silver and black-gold, half-prominent above the rest of the lower part, decorated in a similar fashion throughout. From the top of the helm hang mantling and lambels; on the right red and silver, on the left gold and black, down the edges of the shield floating here and there, and adorning the shield.

I was hoping that somebody may be able to explain the significance of the devices employed in the coat of arms.

Many thanks.

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
Re: The Meaning of Heraldic Devices
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 14:04 BST (UK) »
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 05:50 BST (UK) »
In English/Scots/Welsh/Irish heraldry it is not common for Devices to have any particular meaning apart from the occasional punning allusion.
Continental heraldry also varies in practice and, in this instance, Hungary seems to be quite distinct.
I found the site http://bratislavacountynobility.blogspot.com/p/hungarian-family-heraldry.html provided a good introduction.
There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to the Heraldry Society but the following site looks useful :
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~tqpeiffer/history/Documents/CENTRAL%20EUROPE%20HERALDRY/Central%20Europe%20Heraldry%20Reference%20Library.htm#_HUNGARIAN_HERALDRY
I hope this is some help

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 23 07:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the replies to the post I had forgotten I had made.

The links do look promising, especially the freepages.rootsweb one.

If only Hungarian weren't such a difficult language.