Author Topic: Frasers - John & Simon - Boleskine area  (Read 217 times)

Offline Jso27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frasers - John & Simon - Boleskine area
« on: Saturday 04 February 23 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Came to a bit of a halt in my tree, John Fraser 1791 to 1867 married to Amelia Mackintosh

His parents are listed on the Death cert as Simon Fraser - Farmer & Bella MacDonald -

Birth Cert - born to Simon Fraser & Isobel MacDonald in Migovie??

Cannot find a marriage match or further children of this couple which I find a bit strange.

Would any of you kind people have any insights to help with my search or information sources I've not thought to look at?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

J

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers - John & Simon - Boleskine area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
1861 census, parish of Cawdor, County of Nairn
John Fraser, 60, mason, born Boleskine
Amelia Fraser, 60, born Daviot.

1851 gives his age as 55 and birthplace Boleskine.

In 1841 it just says Inverness-shire, but they are in Abriachan. They certainly got around!

So yes, that baptism in Boleskine on 10 January 1791 looks promising.

I see there's a baptism of Alexander Fraser in 1789 in Boleskine, father Simon, mother Janet McDonald. Is it possible that Janet and Isobel are one and the same but the session clerk made a mistake in one of the entries? Where was Alexander born? If in the same place as John, this would be evidence suggesting that they are brothers.

It's quite common for records to be missing from the surviving registers. Basically, at this period and in this county, if the record is not in Scotland's People, it has almost certainly not survived.

See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/detailed-list-of-old-parochial-registers-of-scotland.pdf

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers - John & Simon - Boleskine area
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 23 12:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the only marriage of a Simon to a McDonald I can see in the county.

FRASER   SIMON   JANET MCDONALD   12/01/1790   URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON

FRASER   JOHN   SIMON FRASER/ISOBEL MCDONALD    10/01/1791   BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF OR FORT AUG

Church records at the above on SP.

BOLESKINE: BIRTHS 1777- 1819 MARRIAGES 1799 – 1819 (Kirk Session minutes 1801- 1857)

ABERTARFF: BIRTHS 1739 – 1819 MARRIAGES 1759 – 1819

BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF: BIRTHS & MARRIAGES 1820 – 1854

NO DEATHS PRIOR TO 1855 REGISTRATION

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.