Author Topic: Zeppelin over West Ham  (Read 279 times)

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zeppelin over West Ham
« on: Sunday 05 February 23 08:22 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother often told me that her father was close to the site of the first Zeppelin attack on the area. She said that bombs hit the Maryland Point area of Stratford and that he was in the area visiting relatives. He had a brother in Louise Road.

I think this would have been the raid by LZ37 On the  31st of May 1915. As far as I can tell the raid started in Stoke Newington and then went through Hackney, Stratford and finally Leytonstone.

I would like to know where exactly in Stratford the bombs fell. Any info would be very appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Zeppelin over West Ham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 23 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 23 08:45 GMT (UK) »
"Zeppelin LZ.38 approached London at a height approaching two miles, and was not attempting to hit specific targets - the purpose was simply to bomb London while keeping to a line east of the Tower of London.

The first bomb, an incendiary, landed on 16 Alkham Road, the home of Albert Lovell, a 39-year-old clerk, and his family, setting fire to the upper floor of the house. Mr Lovell alerted the fire brigade, who extinguished the blaze before it caused too much damage."

https://www.historyextra.com/period/first-world-war/9-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-londons-first-zeppelin-raid-in-1915/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 23 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole. A remarkable film.

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 23 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you tonepad, it is an excellent website. I was intrigued that there were two types of airship. I have always believed that it was all Zeppelins, never having heard of the Schutte-Lanz.

Like some of the other websites that I have seen, it is a sobering reminder of how often children are the victims of war. Truly heartbreaking.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
More description of where bombs fell:

https://horridhackney.com/f/stoke-newington-dalston-hoxton-and-shoreditch-bombed-1915

It seems that only one bomb fell on Stratford and the exact location is not revealed on websites looked at so far.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 23 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Tony.
It is amazing how much info is out there. I am also surprised by its proximity to parts of my life. I once worked in Kingsland Road and I also worked opposite the site of Bishopsgate Goods Station. I had no idea of these events or how they would tie in with my grandmothers memories.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 23 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Not the same Zeppelin, but I have an envelope containing wire from one shot down in 1916.

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 23 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that is amazing. I had never come across this scheme before.

I was told that my great grandmother was out one day and saw a group of people gathering. She went to see and found that there was a mark on the ground. It was where a crewman had jumped from a burning Zeppelin. She was not happy at their callous remarks and said "that was some mothers son." Some people were not pleased with her attitude but she had already lost a son in that war. She knew exactly what she was talking about.