Author Topic: Can any one find a needle in a haystack? Seeking Henry Williams 1811  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can any one find a needle in a haystack? Seeking Henry Williams 1811
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Mark, there are interesting suggestions here. Thank you. I will pass this on. If anything interesting crops up from this search, I will post here. About to copy and paste to the person involved. Nx

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:48 GMT (UK) »
A bit more information that goes in withRichard being a farmer -  there is a place near Crown Hill Llantwit Fardre that was called Villa! It was part of Ystrad Barwig farm.found during an archive paper search from ref attached.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Mark, from the member of the history group re what you sent today: That information you sent this morning was the icing on the cake for me.

:)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 February 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gwaelodian, I'm hopeful some of those Williams records in Glamorgan Archives might be helpful and perhaps more.

The Star Inn picture (initial post), you mentioned the Morley surname.

Also similar picture on Facebook, Star Inn, Nantgarw. (Attached)
 ----------
Proprietor of the Star Inn, Nantgarw, Llewellyn Morley (also in a Directory image extract attached)
Leicester University Sp. Coll. Directories
 ----------
Newspaper quick search shows a Mrs Morley, Star Inn, Nantgarw, near Pontypridd.
Evening Express and Evening Mail 5th November 1903.

Front page, see under
HOTEL SERVANTS.
https://papuraunewydd.llyfrgell.cymru/view/4137415
 ---------
Looks like there are some 1923 building plans amongst Caerphilly Urban District Council Building Plans for the Star Inn, Nantgarw.

Glamorgan Archives
http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/

UDCAE/S/1/2078
Alterations to Star Inn, Nantgarw. Date, 25 Sep 1923. Description, Owner/builder: Architect: Thomas Morgan & Partners
 ----------
Our Village Inn Plans
One of the 1920s and 1930 (Bathroom & flushable toilet and connection to sewer 1930) alteration plans for our village Inn are in colour and also show all the room layout, room names (both floors), before some of the internal walls were removed later.

The 1899 Plan for the outside Ashpit Privies to the rear, shows the existing Urinal on the front wall, visible to anyone passing along the village lane or going into the Inn, front door.

So the saying about men going down the pub and pxxxxxx [weeing] your money up the wall, actually occurred in full view of passers by!

Mark

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 February 23 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Another load of exciting finds there, Mark. I’ve just copied and pasted for the member of my group.

Are you based in Wales or simply know your way around the Glamorgan archives?

Just had an immediate reply from the man you’re helping, he says, ‘I’m heading straight off to the archives’!?’ He’s clearly elated.
Many thanks.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 February 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
A bit more information: Llewellyn and Sarah Morley are buried in the graveyard of St Ilans Eglwysilan.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 February 23 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Gwaelodian, a few years back I was helping a young man in Patagonia who was descended from a sister (Hannah) of Llewellyn Morley. Hannah's son John and his wife Hannah (Hopkins) emigrated to Patagonia on the Vesta in 1886. In researching the family I found a number of other people researching the same family, and there is a Facebook group set up by a man whose GG grandparents were also Llewellyn and Sarah Morley (which now has a number of family members). Not 100% sure but Henry may be his GGG grandfather (I was only really interested in the Morleys). Having finished my research I am no longer a member of the group but I'm happy to send you a PM with the details if you like.

I have Henry Williams born around 1811, in Llantwit Fardre, in my research tree. He married Gwenllian James in Eglwysilan in 1835. He was a boatman in 1851. The Sarah Williams who married Llewellyn Morley was his daughter.

The only Emma Jane Morley I have in the tree was one of Llewellyn and Sarah Morley's children. Llewellyn's parents were William Morley and Catherine Davies.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 February 23 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I will pass on this to the person you were all helping. It’s an interesting addition! Please send me what you have by PM, I’ll pass it one and get back to you. Thankyou.
Norma

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 February 23 15:09 GMT (UK) »
What I have in my tree...
Henry Williams, baptised at Llantwit Fardre on 18 Feb 1811, son of Richard Williams and Jane Evans (married on 30 Jan 1806 at Llantwit Fardre).
He married Gwenllian James on 21 Dec 1835 at Eglwysilan, and they had at least 11 children, Ann, John, Henry, Mary, Sarah, Edmund, Gwenllian, Richard, William, Jane and Thomas from 1836 to 1860.
He was a boatman until the 1871 census when he was a labourer, living close to the Glamorgan canal in Gabalfa in Cardiff.

Gwenllian died in 1876; Henry in 1880, buried at Eglwysilan on 2 April 1880.

I'll PM you the name of the Facebook group and it's creator.

Edited to add: none of this is proven with certificates, only parish records and census data. And no fathers named in 1835 to guarantee Henry is the same Henry as the baptism son of Richard.   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....