Author Topic: Houstry  (Read 735 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Houstry
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
My apologies, I did not think that the chart was going to be published, since it is: the John Gunn on the right is my Great Grandfather. The parents of Donald are the question mark. I have one source that has Donald and his brothers born in Houstry. However there is no solid evidence.
What is that source?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houstry
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 February 23 10:20 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned earlier.
I have a genealogical chart that purports to show, that Donald (1767->1841) his brother John (1759 - <1861), sister Elizabeth (1764---) and brother David 1764-1827) were born in Houstry,  Younger siblings, Alexander (about 1788 ?? to 1859) and Anna (no birth date given were said to have been born in Kildonan. Their father was likely Robert Gunn (1715-1802) of Achaneccan Farm, Sutherlandshire and Their mother was probably Isobel Elder. Robert and Isobel were married in 1750.

So are you now saying, the record below on SP, which I posted earlier, is the father of Alexander 1801?

GUN   DOND   ROBERT GUN   U   02/05/1757   LATHERON

This on freereg.
GUN   Baptism   2 May 1757   Caithness   Latheron : Church of Scotland : Unspecified
Notes Abode Hausterie. Witnesses -Dond and John Mckay in Hausterie. The name John had a line drawn through it

No marriage for parents of Donald & Alexander below in Scotland on SP but below on freereg, an error maybe?

Donald GUN abode Braemore married Hellen SUTHD abode Ausdale 21 Feb 1788  Latheron : Church of Scotland Caithness, both single of the parish?

PARENTS DONALD GUN/ESTER SUTHERLAND - KILDONAN
GUN   DONALD   19/03/1795
GUN   ALEXANDER   25/03/1801

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.