Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 12 February 2023  (Read 3586 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 12 February 2023
« Reply #72 on: Monday 13 February 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria several years ago I was myself actually on a 'bus heading to the old Rawtenstall for Bury 'Bus station, when the impatient bus driver swung out onto the wrong side of the road, because he didn't like being held up by a queue of traffic in front of us. A couple of passengers nearly fell off their seats or, because they were starting to prepare to get off, almost over, he went wrong side of traffic island / bollards, and generally drove like an idiot.
I had words with him, when he stopped, and then he came and leaned intimidatingly kneeling on the empty seat in front of me, and was quite rude. Needless to say, I don't let any lout intimidate me, despite lack of back up from the very few other passengers downstairs, (who were doubtless too intimidated?) and reported him.
What is it about Bury buses? I've only twice ever used them, actually.
Keep up the good work.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 13 February 23 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Ty, that sounds like a very hair raising experience and unpleasant for you and all involved.  :o
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 February 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »
A lighter mood now, I had two ruptured  discs in my lower back .
Agony, prescribed physio therapy .
When particularly bad I could sometimes get a same day appt at the old Bury General Hospital.
Just so one day ,oh the pain right down the sciatic nerve with numbness in my foot.
Told to go asap BUT “do not sit down on the bus the discs might come out more as your spine opens ,lower back just above the ones that control
“ functions!” :-X
Driver asked why I would not sit down ,I thought he will think I have haemorrhoids  or something —- told him and he was worried about me standing yet there were standing passengers allowed at busy times .
So we got there O.K.
Things were easier but I was given a great big corset thing to wear to keep my spine straight .Mr,Doyle the surgeon was going to take the discs out but things did  feel easier with careful management and the corset controlling the bending angle etc.
On one visit after some improvement he said I was the only patient that busy morning with good news for him .
Then he made me laugh, said a long time patient he could not cure but only manage and  maintain ,had asked Mr Doyle if it was OK for him to do a
bungee jump for charity !!!
“ Yes, go ahead and waste all my work on you for  the last two years but don’t come back to me when you are in agony again !”
Honestly.

Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 13 February 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I hope things are much improved now Viktoria, that sounds so painful.  You really went through it!
I can understand Mr Doyle being appalled at the idea of a bungee jump. :o  What was that man thinking! ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 13 February 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, RTL, yes slowly it did improve ,I just need to think and  bend my knees (creaky now!) instead of bending over,also a “ picky up stick “is very handy.
No trouble now really but it is over 30years ago and I do remember to bend knees instead of back.

Well visit over, the children were so good.
Kyra, a bit suspicious at first ,but came round ,so tiny and as they live in a bungalow and my stairs fascinated her.
 At my daughter’s they are behind a door , she has no experience of them .

Flash Harry good too,he and my son got on well, son gave F.H.a “ Swagger
stick”,can’t remember which Regiment now.
Oh yes, South Lancs.
We had fun going round the cemetery , a walk before their long journey back to Suffolk.

Flash Harry calls the graves “ little gardens “ .
We did not enlighten him.

A nice crisp day .
Cheerio. Look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

P.S. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out someone’s door number when you just have a name and street and town.?
I am concerned someone’s computer is not working, too deaf for a phone call and I have no house number . We are just on casual friendly terms ,never met, nor likely to .

Have contacted the Police in their hometown who say person is O.K ,yet no response to emails ,phone not answered but probably not heard .
I feel sure they would have said if they were going away but very elderly so that not likely.
The fact there has been a close family bereavement which he really found hard to cope with,won’t have helped.
I can’t do any more .

Viktoria.