Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 12 February 2023  (Read 3584 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 12 February 2023
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 February 23 22:32 GMT (UK) »
It has warmed up here, after our frigid cold weather of late last week.  -2 now but feels a bit colder.  Some of the snow has shrunk.  The dog had made trails for himself in the snow but they are getting softer and slippery in spots.  He got a bath today and smells better for it.
Had a brief visit with stepdaughter and her family yesterday, little girls have birthdays this month. Running around and little one bumped her face.  She’s alright, though.
Not much else to report. Am going up to the large grocery store “Superstore” tomorrow, haven’t been in there in ages, it’s like going on a serious hike in there. 
Off to prepare the evening meal, such as it is.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 February 23 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I’m still missing a gadget that you use to take staples out of papers. I remember putting it ‘up high’ , away from the grandchildren as it has sharp ends to it, but I’ve checked all the ‘ up high’ places and no sign as yet.
Currently looking after a very spotty granddaughter age 2 who has chicken pox. Her middle brother had it over 2 weeks ago so we thought she might have escaped it , but it’s here with a vengeance now. At least hopefully now she won’t get it when she starts school but I gather you can get it more than once. I didn’t get it until I was 14!

When my three had chicken pox in the late 80s the doctor told me they’d have them 2 weeks apart - and he was right! 6 weeks of chicken pox - fun!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Children here are vaccinated against chickenpox these days along with all the other vaccinations against all childhood illnesses.  :)

I hope your memory stick surfaces Viktoria. I’ve lost many secateurs and vegetable peelers in amongst greenery and waste so I feel for you Caroline.  :)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I accidentally threw away  my grannies peeler knife in peelings,  it was donkeys years old and well worn, I was not pleased but it is easily done

Keep searching folks, these things sometimes do turn up

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, we all are hoping it turns up.

I had a pork belly with Asian slaw at an Irish pub today. Then to an Italian cafe where I tried to order a mango and lemon gelati.  I meant a double scoop in a cone but I ended up with one scoop per cone so I was sitting eating with one in each hand.  What a greedy girl!

I was remembering last week and I make my own green curry sauce with a bunch of coriander in it.

I sat down to do some genealogy and I looked out the study's window and saw something barfed up outside.  From inside trying to determine if it was rodenty.  No... just a long furball.  I once had to get the lady who lives opposite me to get a mouse out of the house as she comes from the mid-north of South Australia and has been through mouse plagues up there   :o

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks all, for your kind wishes about the memory stick, one tiny chance,it could be with the little soldering iron in son’s bedroom, he “ looked”
—-but if he is anything like his father a glance will have sufficed. ::)
Phone call from lovely grand daughter today , on her way to college .
Has just moved house so so will be able to use a very nice cane bench settee with storage ,in her garden.I bought it on a whim!
A bit more space then,here.

I don’t think my neighbour is coming home- so sad ,I hope my son will think about the house ,either rent or even buy .
I like it in many ways more than here ,I have said all that so won’t repeat myself ,but it would be very handy.

A bright day again, ironing to do ,Inspector Morse is on this afternoon so will have that on whilst “ dashing away with the smoothing iron “ —- who remembers that song from school ?
Friday afternoons ,we were taught the history of folk songs and how Cecil Sharp rescued and saved very many that otherwise might very well have been lost.
That was Primary School too ,before Grammar School ,The Juniors up to age eleven.We did enjoy those “sing alongs”.
Sea shanties, this has been aired quite some time ago ,so many remembered.

Smoked salmon in cream for tea with olives or capers ,fusilli and something green - can’t get wild watercress these days , so what to have with it ?
Problems problems —- kick yourself up the bum Viktoria and stop  faffing about !

The lady like a tiny bird ,95% blind ,deaf and her son died a year ago with absolutely no symptoms ,called yesterday.
So stoical,to tell me her daughter ,who has organised a few things for her, is
moving to The Lake District, whatever will the poor soul do .
Flatly refuses any one going into her home ,so what will happen I don’t know.
I am sure she is slipping through the net ,but said daughter is a block to anymore help it seems, has advised her mother not to allow
“ interference” from Social Services. ! Nothing more I can do , but she is welcome to come for a chat and she likes milky sweet coffee.
We could walk together but she walks so fast with such confidence , I don’t think she weighs more than six stones .
Whilst I am a hefty seven stones and nine pounds last time on the scales .

Better weather in the not too distant future , I do need to walk more .

Get a dog ,then I would HAVE to walk,even a three legged geriatric one would need walks.

Flash Harry —- gets a pain in his arm a lot,( he doesn’t) told the teacher it was because she keeps making him write.
Daddy starts new job,no weekends so it is hoped F.H. Settles down as they spent so much time together during lockdown ,then the extra living costs meant extra working hours plus “ baby “ Kyra!
He seems better now Daddy is home at weekends .
A nice little boy but ‘“all there with his lemon drops” which means not daft,has it all worked out .

I enjoy reading your various menus,mine is a bit old fashioned,casseroles and stews ,cheese and onion pies , etc.
Have resurrected the pressure cooker as I mentioned.
Gone off the slow cooker a bit .
We eat well really and are lucky to have a good choice.
However did wartime housewives manage with such little rations and even onions in short supply !

Hope all are well ,just had a phone call from a friend, her hubby is going downhill re mobility etc ,a nice couple no children but do have a dog.
Tireless work for our Heritage Society.

Must phone another lady too,a recurrence of an illness fought bravely many years ago.
We share a taxi on Winter evenings to attend the H.S. meetings.

Well must get on ,need to get some smoked salmon plus other bits and bobs , I think some broccoli florets might be nice with the salmon ,a bit “ al dente” but not too much.
So Cheerio, look after yourselves .
Thanks for all the news — “ The daily round,the common task ,
                                          Will furnish all we need to ask—- “
So many would happily settle for those ,wouldn’t they.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Spinach might go well with your salmon pasta Viktoria - fresh or frozen.  :)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Spinach might go well with your salmon pasta Viktoria - fresh or frozen.  :)
Yum  :D

Summery today, leaves swept from driveway and paths and lawns done and looking all parklike for the day! There is a bit of a weather watch with another possible cyclone forming in Pacific but not predictable for a day or so or if it will head our way. Such shocking images of the scale and magnitude of seismic destruction in Turkey and Syria, so devastating ...

Term one underway now after the long holidays, another item just seen on late news of 7 sets of 5 year old  twins starting at a school in a Sydney suburb today with 4 of the sets identical ! It was during August school holidays for younger daughter when she had chicken pox and having a birthday in July sometimes unlucky with winter ails then too and I think quite high absenteeism generally during quite a long term. That was before NZ went into 4 terms and not the previous 3 terms for the year, so after the long summer holidays of 6 weeks there was a 2 week break in May and then 3 weeks holiday in August.
Back with my term time groups again too, this morning daughter of a friend dropped off supplies and had her preschooler with her but other 3 off at school. Knew the family had all Christmas plans changed with isolating with covid a 2nd time so asked after them all and OK. The 6 of them tested positive one day after another from 23rd to 28th December, only 1 of them hadn't previously had it but none too unwell and after the FOMO part of not being able to meet up with previous arrangements said it was a proper relaxing holiday at home as usually a hectic schedule.

Cafe lunch with 6 of us after the group as we often do, always nice but nothing flash. Had to laugh at wee update and a video clip from daughter though yesterday re miss 3 and her play kitchen offerings. Over the last 18 months or so it has almost always been pizza, one of her favourites and likes to share ... somehow her skills had improved overnight and said she was making croquembouche and more than one, lol. Daughter was handed a dry cracker in the afternoon by miss  8 and her response of yuck was met by miss 3 with “don't you like that mummy, would you like some croquembouche”. She does see a few cooking programs at times and with daddy a former chef,   maybe just liked the sound of the word she'd heard to come out with.
Since then photos sent through of miss 8 first day happily back at school, one with her new teacher and another with  friends. Also milestone photo of baby sister now 9 months and one of her enjoying the playgound well protected from the sun, they had their first time on the family boat with her mid January and spent a week away along with other grandparents. Poppa made her a bespoke cot, the others have their sleeping quarters and girls used to their bunks with having several trips when possible in fair weather.

Yay! for you discovering where the brooch was hiding, TY  8)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 12:40 GMT (UK) »
ps  ::)

We were talking about ironing today too Viktoria, as a result of me saying several friends of similar vintage would put me to shame with their years of routine in ironing household linen along with clothing, I don't even mind ironing and sense of achievement on the occasions I have had a nice ship shape pile ... but that's been a while! Do as little as possible and tend to choose items that don't really need it.

Really also back to say know you are concerned re your friends, neighbour and other who require care.