Author Topic: Lookup at London Metropolitan Archives - Sun Fire Insurance records - Job KEEN  (Read 327 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a read a comment by Rootschat administrators that most of the LMA collection is online.  However I have been unable to find any reference to Sun Fire Insurance records.  If there are digital copies could someone please give me a link.

If not, then I am requesting a lookup in record:

Reference: MS 11936/567/1300836

Description: Insured: Job Keen, Gloucester Street Commercial Road, gun stock maker, and John Millard, the Proof House Church Lane Whitechapel, proof master

Other property or occupiers: Oxford Street Bilston Staffordshire (George Brown, brewer
and porter dealer)

Date: 10 May 1839

I am interested in any other detail about the people named and the insured property - eg. description, more precise address.  Is it the Brown Lion tavern?

I understand from a relative who looked at insurance records some years ago but no longer lives in England, that the records are relatively easy to find but are contained in large heavy books.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup at London Metropolitan Archives - Sun Fire Insurance records - Job KEEN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean John Millward aged 77 who was living there in 1851. Widower with one servant

1841 Looks more like John Miller instead of Millward but the same address Proof House age 63 not born in county, with two servants.

He died "Thursday Last aged 80 for thirty years Master of the Proof House, London".
Ref Birmingham Gazette 25 October 1852

He was buried 27th October 1852.

His will written 1851 is on ancestry indexed as John Millevard

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup at London Metropolitan Archives - Sun Fire Insurance records - Job KEEN
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you amondg.  Yes, that is the man.   I know lots about John Millard/Millward, but I am trying to work out why two gunmakers working in London would be insuring a property in Bilston in Staffordshire and what relationship, if any, either Keen or Millward had with George Brown.

George Brown was proprietor of the Brown Lion tavern Oxford Street Bilston in 1842.  His grandmother Esther Brown (nee Lowe) was proprietor in 1818.  She died in 1826 and was succeeded by her son-in-law George Perry from at least 1828 to 1835, then George Brown's brother-in-law William Turley 1840-41.  So it has been a family business.  George Brown's uncle Charles Gallimore (1775-1846) leaves legacies to John Millward's sons, and owned a lot of property in Oxford Street, Bilston, including a malting house.  George Brown was at one time a maltster, so it is possible the insured address is the malting house - hence my desire to find out if the actual insurance record has any more detail than the catalogue about the property.  I know from past experience that the insurance records do sometimes have more information than makes it into the TNA catalogue entry.

Job Keen was born in Tamworth in 1776 and John Millward in West Bromwich in 1773.   All London gunmakers probably knew the proof master, but Keen and Millward do also have a family connection.  Job Keen's daughter Harriet married John Millward's nephew Charles.  That does not answer the question of why Keen and Millward were insuring a Bilston property long after they both moved to London.  My best guess is that they were trustees of a will (it is not Charles Gallimore or his father or either of George Brown's grandparents), although normally that fact is in the catalogue entry for the Sun insurance records.

I have extensively mapped out the Gallimore, Brown, and Perry families without finding so far any familial connection with the Millward family.   There were obviously some social connections including the will, and John Millward's children witnessing the second marriage of George Brown's wife (he was her third husband).

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure how onerous this request is.

If someone can oblige and the records turn out to be easy to find, could I stretch the friendship and ask for two others for another family?

MS 11936/547/1228530 George Shepherd, 76 Clarendon Street Clarendon Square, 11 Aug 1836

MS 11936/562/1273033 George Shepherd, 26 Burton Street Burton crescent, 5 Apr 1838

Thank you

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I personally cannot look up the records at the archives, and if no other roots chatters are available
there is this email.

asklma@londonmetarchives.libanswers.com 

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 23 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks amondg. I will bear that in mind.

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
COMPLETED
Request has been fulfilled through a professional agent.