Author Topic: Patrick Clifford born 1806? Fermanagh Ireland  (Read 408 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Clifford born 1806? Fermanagh Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if that 15 yr old Catherine is possibly a daughter, and the Stewart is her middle name.

She is dittoed under the W, for wife, of Ellen, so it's confusing:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e096/e002386896.jpg

I cannot find the census (for them) using Anc*try.  I was hoping to find them on (Anc*try) and look at nearby pages, looking at how the enumerator recorded others’ details, looking for a pattern.  On the Cliffords’ page in the above link, the enumerator filled in columns with words or ditto marks.  I wonder if he/she did not know Catherine’s relationship and filled in the spot with ditto?  Or, could Catherine actually be married and living with or visiting the Cliffords.  If she was 15, she could have almost been 16 and while young, still have been married.  (I have one Irish ancestor who married very young - the theory was she sailed on her own, met her future husband on the ship and married shortly after settling in Ontario.)

Looking again at the link, it looks like “born” might have referred to born in Canada as a lot of the born notations refer to younger people?

It was most likely done, but were alternatives used when searching for Catherine Stewart?  My Stuarts were recorded as Stuart, Stewart and Steward.  [By the way, in the past, bbart actually did amazing sleuth work finding my Stuarts in Ontario.]  ;D   Again, keeping my Stuarts in mind (the parents and adult children sailed to Canada), perhaps if Catherine was married to a Stewart, there might be other Stewart family members nearby (including her husband, if he was still alive).

Note, I haven’t taken the time to search for a family in 1861 (from Catherine’s page), to see if my idea about “born” referring to born in North America might be correct.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find the census (for them) using Anc*try.  I was hoping to find them on (Anc*try) and look at nearby pages, looking at how the enumerator recorded others’ details, looking for a pattern.

The only census Anc. has is the Agricultural Census, so the cities/towns are pretty much omitted.
New Brunswick was not part of Canada at that time, and the (colonial) population census were, to put it very basically, very individually done area censuses. They are not all digitized at this time, and are locked away in some archive in New Brunswick. The few that are digitized, if I remember correctly, have to be gotten directly from their Archives for a fee.

Anyways, I just want to point out how to look at nearby pages in these kind of cases!

The link I gave for Patrick Clifford was http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e096/e002386896.jpg
On the image the book page is 120.
Just change the final digits of Patrick's url to change pages.
For example, changing the final "6.jpg" to a "5.jpg" will back you up one image to book page 119.
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e096/e002386895.jpg

Jumping way back to see the map of the area, change the final 3 digits of "896.jpg"  to "772.jpg", so:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e096/e00238672.jpg  takes you to the map of the area.

It's not a perfect method, as in if you want to jump back 20 pages, you should just be able to subtract 20... but often, in digitizing images, there will be a repeat of a damaged page, or a test page, but you will be close!

Hope this helps in some future endeavour for someone!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1852 entry for Clifford shows an Irish William Dunbar directly below that entry.  Also a grocer.  Didn't notice a family connection to Clifford family trying to look at their history.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
two people to track to see if they are related to your Patrick
William Wallace 28 b. N.York marriedd Oct 23, 1857 Boston, Mass. to Ellen McNamara, 32 b. Ire. d/o Patrick Clifford.  This was 2nd marriage for both
Catherine Wallace baptized R.C. 21 Oct 1858 Boston parents William Wallace, Ellen Clifford.  This couple is on the 1860 U.S. census in Boston.

John Clifford 26, b. Ireland s/o Patrick and Ellen Clifford married Worcester, Mass Jan 9, 1855 to Julia Bruthrick.