Author Topic: Mortimer  (Read 239 times)

Offline JoeMiltimore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mortimer
« on: Monday 06 February 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I am Joe Miltimore.  I’m new to this site and am still learning the ins and outs. 

Although my surname is Miltimore, old family letters state that the original family surname was Mortimer and that the family lived near Insch until moving to Northern Ireland (probably Londonderry) in the mid-1600s.

Y-DNA tests revealed that I am an exact match with people whose surname is Mortimore.  They say that some of their family went by the surname Mortimer. 

Anyway, my family moved from Londonderry Ireland to Londonderry New Hampshire in the mid 1700s.  So they weren’t in Ireland very long. 

We have been able to thoroughly document the family here in the US.  Records from before our Revolutionary War indicate that they used the surname Miltimer, which does sound somewhat similar to Mortimer.  I don’t know why they changed it or how the Mortimores fit into the picture. 

I hired a genetic genealogist to review my y-dna results and he pointed us to the Insch area. 

He also said we likely have connections to Cornwall. 

Since I’m just now beginning my Scottish search, I’d be happy for suggestions on where and how to proceed. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Joe Miltimore/Mortimer

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mortimer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome.

Who do you subscribe with?

Ancestry & Find My Past have good England, Wales and Ireland (partial) records so if you want to use these ensure your subscription includes the above.  Always use the Search Filter for UK & Ireland.  Its a sore point over here in that despite UK based records USA takes preference in most general searches for us.

For Scotland the pay as you go Scotlandspeople website is useful.

Now Irish records are sketchy at best and the what is now Northern Ireland are probably worst than those of the Republic.

If you have not taken an Ancestry DNA test, do so.  There test will be useful back to six or seven generations, and may well offer more DNA matches to you. 

If you are in contact with Second or Third Cousins on the same line having them DNA test will be useful as they should have similar Shared Matches.  Additionally using comparison sites like Gedmatch can yield results as you can triangulate results the the match and the results of a 2C or 3C

Good luck.