Author Topic: Burial/Cremation in Fife 1942 - Information sought  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial/Cremation in Fife 1942 - Information sought
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 February 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »

A burial place described in 1981 as “all locked up and overgrown” certainly suggests an old graveyard or churchyard rather than a municipal cemetery.  Pathhead churchyard does seem a possibility here.

It is likely that the Brady family had moved from Pathhead to 8 Maple Street (where they were living in 1942 when Helen died) only a few years earlier.  Maple Street was part of Kirkcaldy Town Council’s Hayfield housing development built between 1937 and 1938 and mainly intended to rehouse those living in overcrowded and/or substandard conditions elsewhere in the burgh.  However, the family seem to have maintained links with Pathhead.  “The Reverend” in the acknowledgements notice was Arthur Morton Price (1911-1983), who was the minister at the Evangelical Union Congregational Church in Pathhead from 1936 until 1944.   There doesn’t appear to be a graveyard attached to this church, so Pathhead Parish Church graveyard is probably the nearest burial place.

Pathhead Parish Church was badly damaged by fire in 1953 and, as you suggest, any burial records may have been lost at this time.    If you wish to make any further enquiries, you can email the Church < pathheadchurch@btconnect.com>.  Alternatively, you can email the  current minister (Reverend Andrew Donald) <minister@pathhead.co.uk>

Re members of the Buist family, there is a death notice in the Fife Free Press (2 May 1942) for Robert S. Buist who died at 8 Maple Street on 24 April 1942 aged 84.  (Presumably the father of Jane Brady m.s. Buist ?)     If  Fife Bereavement Services can locate his burial record, they may be able to identify other burials in the same lair or nearby.   (He is not one of the nine Buists listed at Pathhead Churchyard - with one exception they are all pre-1900.)

Margow

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 February 23 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Margo, so sorry for the delay in replying to your last message.
Thank you so much for all the research and detailed information you have provided. I had no idea about the area and the information you shared about Maple Street etc. It is certainly making sense and giving more substance to my theory.

Yes, the Robert Buist you mention is the father of Jane Brady m.s. Buist (my Great Great Grandfather). I believe that he continued to live with Jane and her her husband John (and family) until his death.
It is a great idea to contact Bereavement Services in relation to his death/burial, as it is quite likely Helen may have been buried in the same place - given the closeness in timeframe of their deaths (and the age of Helen and her husband at the time of Helen's death). I imagine money would have been tight with a young son, and some reliance on John's parents (as both Helen's parents were long deceased) may have been necessary. Conjecture, of course, from the information/facts I do have.

I will make contact with them again and ask about Robert Buist, and I will also email the Pathhead Church.

I am extremely grateful for all the help I have received from you and others in this forum.

Diane

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 February 23 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a PM.

Margow

Offline diane747

• RootsChat Extra