Author Topic: John CHARLES b 1816  (Read 450 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John CHARLES b 1816
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I'm hoping to find out if it is possible to find a death record for the above who last appears on the 1841 Census living with his parents in Woodend Farnell, Angus  as a 20 year old Blacksmith.  Dad is JAMES Charles and Mum Helen LOW. 

I have been trying to find him on the census after 1841 and I cannot seem to locate him.

So if he died after the 1841 Census that would explain it.  I've been looking for this Great Uncle for many years but have never found him (so far).  Many thanks Dianna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN CHARLES b 1816
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 10:13 GMT (UK) »
There's no death of a John Charles, mother's maiden surname Low, in the death index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Nor is there a death of a John Charles, born 1810-1830, without a mother's maiden surname.

This means that
- he could have emigrated before 1851
- he could have died between the 1841 census and the start of civil registration in 1855

Though there is no reference to the surname Charles in the book of pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions from Farnell.

or, all very much less likely
- whoever registered his death may have got his mother's maiden surname wrong
- his death was never registered
- his name was not known to whoever registered his death
- his death was registered but has been omitted from the index

or something else that hasn't occurred to me.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Just for information the 1841 census was rounded down to 20, he was baptised a little earlier.

JOHN CHARLES   BAPTISED    JAMES CHARLES/HELEN LOW    30/06/1816   FARNELL

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Aye, I checked that too. Though the thread title does say 1816.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks very much for your replies and time.  Much appreciated.  I will start looking in other parts of the UK, perhaps he went to England, America or ????  He may have even ended up in Australia but I have not heard anyone in the family mention that!

Thanks will broaden the search at least I know he was a Blacksmith and hopefully he carried on that trade may help when I'm looking at the census.  I will start today in England perhaps and take it from there.  I don't know why they rounded down with the census, well in Johns case they did.  May make the search a little trickier??

Thanks Dianna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I don't know why they rounded down with the census, well in Johns case they did.  May make the search a little trickier??
The instructions to enumerators, in 1841 only, were to round down all adults' ages to the nearest 5 years. In subsequent years the ages were to be as the people themselves said. So (assuming he emigrated to England or Wales rather than dying in Scotland before 1855) he should be listed as aged 34 in 1851, 44 in 1861 and so on.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much.  Knowing that may make it easier!  Hope I can find him. I think on the 1841 Census (will re check) it possibly states he was a  Blacksmith (Journeyman??)  that could mean he was free from an apprenticeship and could move around freely.  Not too sure.  Would need to verify that.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I think on the 1841 Census (will re check) it possibly states he was a  Blacksmith (Journeyman??)  that could mean he was free from an apprenticeship and could move around freely. 
That is exactly what it means.

A journeyman was a qualified tradesman who was paid for his time, from French journée, meaning 'day'; nothing to do with him travelling, though many journeymen did take the opportunity to travel before settling down with a wife and family.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I have just checked the census in England the only John CHARLES I could see who was born in Scotland was on all three census 1841 included.  Cabinetmaker!  So not there.

I'm checking NSW BDM only one JOHN CHARLES died in NSW in 1877 with unknown parents.

Will check in USA and immigrants to Australia.  All good many thanks