Author Topic: My computer  (Read 596 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My computer
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
This is new to me as I normally ask for help on family searches.
I'm having trouble with my computer. It was working fine until a few weeks ago.
I had just done a room up as a little office. But I hadn't checked my computer like I normally do.
I turned on the wall socket and my computer came on which was strange because I turned it off by its power button.
Ever since then I keep getting the message on my monitor saying power saving mode. Then my monitor goes off.
I've tried everything possible.
But I don't know what else to do.
I've even changed the monitor it still doesn't work. My base unit comes on.
It's the monitor. The little light comes up green and goes to yellow.
I can't use my keyboard to take my computer out of power saving mode. Because I need the monitor.
Can anyone please help.
Thank you everyone

Offline Donnie H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My computer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Have you tried checking the cable between the computer and monitor to make sure it's connected properly, if the monitor isn't getting a signal from the computer, it will go into standby mode. If that's ok I would try holding in the power button on the computer until it switches off, wait a minute, then switch it back on and see if it boots up as normal.

Donnie 

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 23 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. I've been trying everything. Swapping the cable. Even tried to turn off my computer with its power button at the front. It won't do anything. So if I have to turn it off I have to use the power button at the back of the base unit. Both my monitors I've tried are Dell and LG.
They work ok on another base unit

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 23 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it's time to get someone to have a serious look inside your computer?
Do you have access to a second working computer.
Doing a search of 'Computer power saving mode' brings up various solutions to try and rectify!
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
PCs tend to try and locate a working display very early on in the boot sequence, so they can show any problems. Should you normally use a fancy graphics card and that become unavailable, the system might revert to using less fancy circuitry on the system board. Does your system have a second display socket?

Because you have tried more than one monitor, we can rule that end out.

The other areas are the cable and the PC end.

Older PCs used "VGA" connectors, a D-shaped shell with 3 rows of pins/holes. If yours is one of these, examine the pins on the cable's plugs. It is not unknown for them to get bent when putting things back in a rush. I've straightened many of these with my needle-nosed pliers.

These days most PC to monitor cables have an HDMI plug at each end. Take it out and examine each end for damage. Take it somewhere brightly lit and use a magnifying glass. If it looks OK, plug it back in the other way round, because sometimes connectors make better contact in a different brand socket.

Once that has been ruled out, the PC is the next suspect, and its connector the most likely to fail. It will be more difficult to examine, but I have had good results using my phone camera with its flash. You can blow up the picture on screen to see details. The conductors are on either side of the "tongue" in the middle of the socket. If they are damaged, a good repair shop can solder in a replacement socket.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Have a look under the monitor and on all its sides for any buttons, if there are some then when the monitor was being carried some may have changed there state.

If all else fails, try moving your PC to your TV and connect up both via a HDMI cable, the TV should act as as a Monitor, you can then investigate the Power modes

I use a 4k TV as my PC’s monitor.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Several techies have stated that removing the computer memory then reinstalling will probably fix your problem

Malky.