Author Topic: What happened to Catherine Finn?  (Read 455 times)

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Catherine Finn?
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help shed light on what happened to one of my greatx2 grandmother's sisters?

Catherine Finn was born on 1 Feb 1899 in Liverpool, and baptised on 6 February 1899. Her parents were Michael, and Catherine nee Swords.

The family doesn't appear in the 1901 census. Her father died in 1906.

Catherine appears at home in the 1911 census but the original form has her name crossed out and written 'in hospital' next to her name. She appears as being enumerated in the Brownlow Hill workhouse as Cath Finn, a patient.

She appears in the 1921 census with her mother and siblings. After that, I'm not so sure.

I've found 2 potential Catherine Finn marriages in 1922, to Charles Dawe (0 registered children), or 1934, to John Doran (1 registered child, Catherine, b. 1934).

I haven't found any results for a Catherine FINN on the 1939 EW register, suggesting she either died, moved, or married.

I have found a potential result for a Catherine DORAN, b. 1899 (only the year was given), who was in the County Mental Hospital, Rainhill. But I'm not sure what happened to her after that, or even if this is the correct woman?

My grandfather grew up with his grandmother. He was born in the late 30s, and can recall both her and her sister Margaret. Her oldest brother died when my grandfather was 1, so he obviously doesn't remember him, but he didn't know his grandmother had another sister, or what happened to her.

Can anyone help shed light on what happened to Catherine?  :)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Catherine Finn?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the baptism on findmypast, on the side is a note which says she married John Doran in 1936. I'm not able to transcribe it but two other names are also mentioned, Ellen Doran and J ? Doran. Perhaps somebody here will be able to have a look for you.

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the baptism on findmypast, on the side is a note which says she married John Doran in 1936. I'm not able to transcribe it but two other names are also mentioned, Ellen Doran and J ? Doran. Perhaps somebody here will be able to have a look for you.
Thank you for pointing this out! I was unsure what this referred to, I couldn't really make out much of it, but it does look like married John Doran, July 16, 1936? I think it may actually be 1934, but poor handwriting.

Perhaps this confirms the Catherine Doran from 1939?

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 15:25 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on FindMyPast. She married John Doran  16 July 1934 witnesses Ellen and James Doran
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 16:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a John Doran on the 1939 Register in Liverpool with daughter, Catherine b 1934. No other Catherines registerd in 1934.

He is married but no wife shown, although the name underneath in blanked out.

David

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Blanked out means the person could still be alive. If so, they cannot be discussed on RootsChat.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Possible death.  Maybe that is why your grandfather never knew of her?

Prescot covers the Rainhill area

Deaths Dec Q 1942 
Doran    Catherine   age 44    Prescot    8b   593   

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Finn was born on 1 Feb 1899, so by 1999, her record should have been opened. That makes me think it is not her. If she died in 1942, where is she on the register?

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Finn was born on 1 Feb 1899, so by 1999, her record should have been opened. That makes me think it is not her. If she died in 1942, where is she on the register?

Catherine Finn married in 1934, so by the time the register was compiled her name was Catherine   Doran and she would have been recorded as such, the entry at Rainhill showing she was married and born in 1899 does look likely.

Boo