Author Topic: Where is my mother in law in 1939? The missing Collyers  (Read 531 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is my mother in law in 1939? The missing Collyers
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:21 GMT (UK) »
In the 1939 register my mother in law would have been a baby and as she is still alive, she will not be in the available records, but I can't find her mother or deceased siblings, who should feature.  Her father Robert Baden Collyer is living at the family home (Baxendale Street, Bethnal Green) in 1939, with various family members and relatives, but his wife, Gladys Alice Grimwood nee Rose (b.23/1/1902) and her late sisters (Irene Gladys Collyer b.19/4/1931 / Joan b.4/12/1932) are not there and I assume they moved out of London for safety.  However despite trying all the name variants I can think of, I can't find them, so can someone please help?
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my mother in law in 1939? The missing Grimwoods.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I am missing something, but where does the name Grimwood come into this?

She was Gladys Alice Rose, married Robert B Collyer and died under the name Gladys Alice Collyer in 1986?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my mother in law in 1939? The missing Collyers
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Queenie,  Failing to multi task and wrote Grimwoods in error, so thanks for spotting the error.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel, Bit of a puzzle as I've been trawling too. I note by the way 2 Collyer's[John & Josephine] were transcribed as Gollyer's simply because the 'C;' looked like a 'G' But comparing the written capital letter C on the same page a "Chase" was properly transcribed.
Even feeding into the search a DOB 23.1.1902 is a fail.
But do consider some children under the age of 'about' 12 or 11 are likely still blacked-out, so really you ought to only find Gladys and 2 blanks underneath (presumed the children).
In the main with the early Evacuation scheme of Sept 1939 eastender's didn't go far, in the sense that means spread out into northern Essex or Bedfordshire: Luton for instance. Only later in the war - 1944 were they sent further afield to Wales etc.

Apologies as later efforts have failed [Weds 6am] but I have found a story of an evacuee from Bethnal Green (see link) which rather reflects how varied were the possibilities of removal around the whole country. This instance was of course a personal one and not part of the Gov, plan.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/25/a3437525.shtml

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking Copper1 and attaching the link to the interesting story.  Unfortunately my mother in law was too young to remember where they were and anyone who would have known is no longer around, so I'll have to keep checking.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Evacuated Children are the hardest to find on the 1939 Register
We tend to wrongly look with 100% Accuracy Eyes knowing their Date of Birth
But the Register would have been completing the Register Form Correctly with the Right the Date of Birth of each Child staying with them.
Assuming that the Child probably under 10 could tell them the Exact and Correct Date of Birth
I have seen with so many Incorrect Dates Transferred  remember what you see Scanned is not the Original Form
Her 1939 Register is out there
Just not under what details you are looking under.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Not the 1939 register but the 1939 electoral register ..... Robert Baden and Gladys Alice are at 129 Ravenscroft, Bethnal Green (not Baxendale Street)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Another dead-end: 129 'Ravenscroft' possibly a tenement block? No entry 128 & 130, the blacked-out bit possibly aligned with No 128.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=tna%2fr39%2f0052%2f0052c%2f013

Sadly Nigel, the move between 1938 compilation of the electoral register for publication date 1939 saw the Rose family at 5 Baxendale Road - less than 1/4 mile from Ravenscroft, but Google streetview (below) shows existing & original properties are the Even Nos (left) and the odds (right) start at No 17.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=tna%2fr39%2f0052%2f0052c%2f013

Current property guide price £1.25million; A stunning, architecturally designed, two bedroom house located on one of the most desirable streets in Bethnal Green.

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 20:55 GMT (UK) »
The family were at Baxendale Street on the 1931 London register and then Ravenscroft for a few years after that, so they seemed to have easily moved around.  My wife was brought up in Baxendale Street as a baby, when there was one family downstairs and another upstairs, so it was a classic terraced house.  Now, as it's very close to Columbia Road market, it's very desirable and prices are crazy.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London