Author Topic: Crimon place  (Read 316 times)

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crimon place
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has local knowledge of the houses in Crimon Place.
According to the valuation rolls I’ve found a relative living there as the head of the household from 1915 till her death in 1946. I’m fairly certain that the houses are now divided into flats but wonder if that would have been true at the time I’m referring to.

I suspect that I might get some info on Scotlands people if I spend some of my credits to view the 1921 census or even some of the valuation rolls. (Although I’ve never looked at one so don’t know what info they give. IE can you just see the info for the person you’re researching or, as in the case of census and birth/ death certificates, can see information for others too?) sorry about all the questions I’m quite new to doing family research. I might have to bite the bullet and use some of my sp credits but I thought I’d ask first.

Thanks
Angus.(paternal)  Ferrier, Sutherland, Donaldson, 
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Aberdeenshire Park, Lawson, Snowie, Bodie, Booth, Kesson, Ewan

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crimon place
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 22:37 GMT (UK) »
What to do is log on to ScotlandsPeople, go to valuation rolls, click on the year, click on Aberdeen burgh, and enter Crimon where it says enter the place. You will then get all the tenants/occupiers/proprietors.

For example, I have just done this for 1940 and looked down the list (4 pages) for Crimon Place. Choosing No. 2, there are ten tenants listed.

The index just gives the names and addresses and whether the person is proprietor, tenant or occupier, which is what you are looking for. If you pay to see the entry for a particular person (2 credits), it will tell you who owned the property, usually the occupation of the tenant/occupier, and the annual value. As you get the whole page in the roll, it will show all the tenants in a property (unless it starts at the bottom of a page and continues to the next one).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that I might get some info on Scotlands people if I spend some of my credits to view the 1921 census or even some of the valuation rolls. (Although I’ve never looked at one so don’t know what info they give. IE can you just see the info for the person you’re researching or, as in the case of census and birth/ death certificates, can see information for others too?)
The VRs are nothing like a Census, they name the Tenant & Occupier (Person who pays the rent), their occupation, Rent amount & name of the Proprietor.

It's possible the building was a Tenement building (Flats)...

"A room or a set of rooms forming a separate residence within a house or block of flats
A house divided into and let as separate residences"

Local Libraries often have old pics.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Your info has been really helpful.
Angus.(paternal)  Ferrier, Sutherland, Donaldson, 
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Aberdeenshire Park, Lawson, Snowie, Bodie, Booth, Kesson, Ewan