Author Topic: 1604 Testament Testamentar - need help deciphering some words  (Read 625 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1604 Testament Testamentar - need help deciphering some words
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 February 23 20:58 GMT (UK) »
The last bit

Legacie
Item he levis his pairt of the frie geir gif ony be to the said Johne his sone
executor being in the hous p[rese]ntlie serving him [           ] The testament was maid be
the mouth of the said day zeir and place foirsaid Befoir yir (= thir = these) witnesses mr patrick
hamiltoun minister Johne or in mitcheltoun, Johne ritchie tailzeor neill [   ]in Auchill
Robert barbour and umphra his sone all [               ]
At glasgow the last day of februar 1604 zeiris I Robert Chirneside of ouir
possill com[m]issar of glasgow constitute be or souarane Lord [  ] Be ye tennor heirof
Ratifeis appreves and confirmes this p[rese]nt testament and inventar in sa far as the
forme is dewlie and lau[ful]lie maid and gevin up Na thing ommittit furth yairof [    ]
wt in the just availl (= value) And gevis and co[m]mittis full power and intromissione wt
the guides and geir abouewrittin to the saidis exe[cuto]rs allanerlie [= only] wt power to thame
to call and persew yairfoir and to [      ] debtis to [     ] Reseruand compts &
rakning to be maid of yair intromissione quhen and q[uhai]r the same salbe requirit
Becaus

Legacy
Item he leaves his part of the free (= left after debts are paid) gear if any be (= if there be any) to the said John his son, executor, being in the house presently serving him [      ]. The testament was made by [the] mouth, of the said day, year and place foresaid before these witnesses Mr Patrick Hamilton, minister, John Orr in Mitchelton, John Ritchie, tailor, Neil [   ] in Auchill, Robert Barbour and Humphrey his son, all [             ]
At Glasgow the last day of February 1604 years: I Robert Chirnside of Over Possil, Commisary of Glasgow, constituted by our Sovereign Lord [  ] by the tenor hereof ratify, approve and confirm this present testament and inventory in so far as the form is duly and lawfully made and given up, nothing omitted furth thereof [   ] within the just value; and give and commit full power and intromission with the goods and gear above-written to the said executors only, with power to them to call and pursue (= prosecute/sue) therefor and to [     ] debts to [      ], reserving account & reckoning to be made of their intromission when and where the same shall be required.
Because

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 February 23 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, GR2,

Once more you have far exceeded my expectations with this last section.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  I am indebted to you for all of your work and attention given to my dilemma.  I truly appreciate your assistance and your expertise in being able to clearly read this old Scots script. 
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 February 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I do hope you are going to approach your landlord or the tax man and say that your family always pays its dues in cheese :D

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 February 23 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, GR2,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give that a go!   :D
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE