Author Topic: Charles Edward MEYERS - death record  (Read 772 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Edward MEYERS - death record
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 February 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. Hope the OP returns soon to see what we've found.  Can't wait for the 1931 Census to be released later this year!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 February 23 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Did make a note of a death for Leo P Bradley - Leo Patrick Bradley
1880–1961 - Born  4 March 1880 - St John, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
died 21 November 1961 -  Montréal, Québec.

Did have a New York Passenger List with a Leo Patrick Bradley aged 70 years / single - travelling Naples Italy departing 15 April 1950 to New York arriving 25 April 1950. Going to Broadway and 43 rd Hotel Astor New York.   ??

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 February 23 21:27 GMT (UK) »

The Montreal Star Montreal, Quebec, Canada
23 Nov 1961, Thu   Page 31

Leo Patrick Bradley -

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/118308529/the-montreal-star/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 February 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. Hope the OP returns soon to see what we've found.  Can't wait for the 1931 Census to be released later this year!

Yes, OP was around a short while ago.

Sandra

Offline Firstcousin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 February 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much to all of you for your quick and informative replies. I have learned a lot about Canadian sources! I can fill in one or two of the gaps or queries. Charles was born in Ballymote, Sligo, but lived most of his early life in Dublin. His father was in the Army and his mother traveled with her husband round Ireland, so her children were born in many different places. There has been much cross-over or confusion in records and transcriptions between MEYERS and MYERS, so that discrepancy does not bother me too much. The marriage to Gertrude WALKER appears correct and the only family recollection I have of his marriage was so fanciful I discarded it long ago. Like poster Eileen, I suspect the name Patrick was added when he became a Catholic, with the custom being to add a saint's name at Confirmation (we had the same problem with my father!). Alternatively, as an Irishman he may have been referred to as Paddy or Pat so often that he adopted the name. He did live in Montreal probably until 1940s because my aunt can remember him sending food parcels to his brother in England during the War, but I think we can assume the 1960s electoral roll entries  were another person. It seems that he and Gertrude may have returned to NB when he retired. The cemetery record seems conclusive about his death, although his brother (my grandfather) who died in 1968 thinks Charles had died before him. Possibly Charles was very ill at that time and not able to communicate, or Grandpa nay have been a little confused. I'll keep a look out for the next release of death records. Thank you all again.