Author Topic: Mary Ann Baker b1871  (Read 338 times)

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Baker b1871
« on: Friday 10 February 23 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me unravel this,  I cannot find birth for Mary Ann Baker and why is mother Rhoda Baker where the father should be,  is it because an illegitamate child?  I know the witnesses as are hubbies Great Grandparents Silas Smith and Rhoda Smith nee Baker.

Sue

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Baker b1871
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

You asked for help regarding this family before, and I (and others) researched for you and added to the thread, but you did not acknowledge our responses:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868593.0

I can see that you did order the marriage certificate that I suggested.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 23 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes Queenie they did and I apologise for not acknowledging, I was waiting for the Certificate,  which has confused me, The information received before I dont believe was relevant but the Certificate is definately correct, I am confused as the Mother is in the Fathers bit of Certificate,  also Rhoda Smith (witness) maiden name was Rhoda Baker and Mary Ann Baker on the Certificate I believe may be Mary Ann Smith as per some of the Censuses,  I am confused and was asking what other think,  could it be Mary Ann Baker was born illegitamely to Rhoda Baker?

Sue

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 23 16:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism on 14th April 1872 in the parish of Long Cross, Surrey for a Mary Ann Smith, daughter of Silas & Rhoda Smith, father's occupation: traveller, abode: Long Cross Lane.

However, I cannot find a marriage between Silas and Rhoda. They may very well have been living in a "common-law marriage", rather than a legal one. For this reason, Mary Ann and Rhoda may have chosen to revert to Rhoda's maiden name on the certificate, as Mary Ann (in the absence of any legitimate marriage between her parents) would have technically been Rhoda's illegitimate child. Her birth may have also been registered under Baker, rather than Smith, and she wanted to use her legal name on her marriage certificate.

I have to say, it is rather unusual for illegitimate children to have their mother's name on the marriage certificate; usually they just have a blank space with a line through it.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 23 15:32 GMT (UK) »
could it be Mary Ann Baker was born illegitamely to Rhoda Baker?

Yes.  That's why her name is in the father box and why she is described as a spinster.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos