Author Topic: Bridgnorth Shropshire  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bridgnorth Shropshire
« on: Friday 10 February 23 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Bridgnorth Town Address

Please can anyone tell me or show on a map where 14 Newtown, Bridgnorth is - the home of William Henry Carter, School Master, (1826-1906) on the 1881 Census.  I have looked at a 25 inch map of Bridgnorth (which I can access) and cannot find this street address.
By 1891 William Carter had moved to Oldbury Terrace and named his part 'The Cedars'.  I can see this readily.
Many thanks,
Neill.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 23 15:14 GMT (UK) »
"New Town" appears to be a former or alternative name of Railway Street. The 1881 census tells us the Woodman Inn was at number 15 New Town. In later censuses it's listed at 15 Railway Street.

This is an 1882 town plan and it was already Railway Street by then:  https://maps.nls.uk/view/229405662
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 23 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  That was very helpful.  I also note that William's daughter, Lucy Bottwood Carter was an Innkeeper at this same time - perhaps on this very street!
Again, many thanks.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I also note that William's daughter, Lucy Bottwood Carter was an Innkeeper at this same time

That looks like it has been partially erased - entered in error perhaps?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 23 17:18 GMT (UK) »
The Wellington Journal of 23 April 1881 has a lengthy item (page 7 final column) reporting on the presentation to Mr & Mrs Carter of a memento of their long and faithful service as teachers of the Bridgnorth St Mary's schools. Also to Miss Lucy Carter, formerly an assistant teacher.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 23 17:35 GMT (UK) »
New Town, Bridgnorth is the former name of an area of Bridgnorth. You will not find it on a modern map. The main part is now called Railway Street but it also included the southern area that is now Hollybush Road.
I would not have expected to find a School Master in what were small ‘workmen’ cottages in Railway Street. However, No.14 seems to be the exception. Still there today named ‘Vine Cottage’, No.14 is a large three storey house just to the West of Railway Street with pedestrian access only, half way down Railway Street. It may not apply but do remember that properties in Bridgnorth have been renumbered several times over time.
Using Google Street View, No.14 is visible high up from the junction of Railway Street and Hollybush Road. I also have several old photographs of the house.
On a more general note. In my extensive collection of Bridgnorth records, I have many records that mention that large CARTER family, including mention of the parent’s deaths and funeral details in the local newspaper. Also burial details of some of their children in the local cemetery, including photographs of their grave plots if you wish. My collection includes over 50 photographs of St Mary’s school children and teachers from 1900 onwards. Unfortunately your William CARTER, Head Master isn’t on any of them. I do have a photograph of St Mary’s school prior to demolition.
Gwynne

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Still there today named ‘Vine Cottage’, No.14 is a large three storey house just to the West of Railway Street with pedestrian access only, half way down Railway Street.

The white house next to No 14's gate is still called "The Woodman"

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 23 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Vine Cottage, the three storey house, top centre.
The white painted gable end of the Woodman inn is visible.

Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I am hugely grateful for the information so far provided.  I would add the following.  On the 1861 and 1871 Census details William Carter and family are living at 1 Spital Street, the current Hospital Street.  I thought they were living at the current Vine Cottage presently for sale by Rightmove, a white painted roadside property of reasonable size.  This is in contradiction to the property on Railway Street shown in the photo.  I claim to be right in neither case!  There is a 1916 family reference that they did live in a Vine Cottage.  But which?
William Carter has many references in the newspapers around 1898-1998 to being a Master/Proprietor of the Commercial and Preparatory School, Bank Street.  He advertises for custom on a termly basis,  Just what this school is I do not know.
I greatly appreciate all thoughts and contributions on these matters.  I am open to all!