Author Topic: Bridgnorth Shropshire  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth Shropshire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 February 23 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwynne,
Thank you again so much for this additional information and especially the article about Vine Cottage.
A brief mention of the Carter family’s association with Vine Cottage appears in a 1917 letter from Lilly Carter (1874-1965) to her brother George Howard Carter (1871-1959) in Toronto:
“_____ also an elderly Person well nearly 60. I know her well, bought Vine Cottage Grange where we lived. Her husband was relieving officer. Now she comes to be glad of a home. I didn’t know he earned good money, and only had one child. She has been with Ada.

Sometime George, you will have seen Ada Hughes, that lived by the Cedars. Well, she married Dick’s brother. They live near Birmingham. “

William Carter had moved to Vine Cottage by 1881 in preparation for early retirement from his job as Headmaster at St. Mary’s National School where he had been for 28 years.  The link to the retirement article in the Wellington Journal 23 April 1881 was kindly provided by ShaunJ.  William’s retirement may also have been strongly influenced by the suicide of his son William Henry Colbourne Carter in 1879 which may very reasonably have made him wish to find both a new family home and a new purpose in life.
The Carters were at Vine Cottage up to around 1887/8 after which the Bridgnorth paper is full over the next ten years of William Carter advertising his Commercial and Preparatory School on Bank Street each term, with applications going to Oldbury Terrace.
Canadian descendants of the Carters have said: “ ……. that William opened his own school after prodding by the local gentry who did not wish their children to attend a national school.”
After 1888, William Carter used the addresses:  Oldbury Terrace; The Cedars, Oldbury Terrace; and The Cedars, Oldbury.  I am presuming these are all the same house.  Does anyone know exactly which property at Oldbury Terrace this might be?

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 February 23 15:25 GMT (UK) »
William Henry Colbourne Carter 1851-1879
Distressing Suicide of a Bridgnorth Man – The Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News July 5 1879
An Inquest was held Last week at the Eagle Tavern, Spring-Back, Hull, before Mr. J. J. Thorns, coroner, touching the death of Mr. William Henry Colborne Carter (son of Mr. William Carter, Hospital Street Bridgnorth) who was supposed to have committed suicide. The jury having viewed the body, the following evidence was taken Miss Alice WIggington, 99, Peel-street, Hull. identified the body as that of her brother-In-law, who was 28 years of age. He was an assistant In the Hull and East Riding College. Witness had been visiting at the house since last January. Deceased was a very studious man, and worked very hard after school hours, especially lately. He was reading up French, and proposed passing an examination. Though he never talked much he had for the last few weeks been more depressed, and had suffered from gathering in the ears, which caused great pain. Almost every evening be used to take chloroform, and lately this practice had been constant. When deceased retired to his room be generally locked himself in. During the last week the depression bad greatly increased, and deceased used to sit in the drawing room alone. On Friday he looked very ill, and was no better on Saturday. The house was infested with rats, and deceased had talked about sending for some Battle's Vermin Killer. Witness saw deceased go upstairs about seven o'clock on Saturday evening. Between seven and eight Mrs. Carter went upstairs and knocked at her husband's door, but he took no notice. A little later Mrs. Carter went again with the same result, witness saying that he would perhaps be angry If they disturbed him. About ten o'clock witness forced open the door, when they found Mr. Carter fully dressed, and lying on the bed with his face downwards. A handkerchief was lying on his face, and he was quite dead. Subsequently Dr. Gibson arrived. Sellna Knight, a little girl who lived at the house as servant, stated that at about 6.30 on Saturday evening her master said to her. "Fetch me threepennyworth of Battle's Vermin Killer". Witness went to Mr. Walton, chemist, obtained the powder, and returned with It to Mr. Carter, who was waiting in the dining-room. Mr. W. 0. Walton, chemist, Spring bank, deposed to selling the powder to the last witness. The usual entry was made in the sale of poisons book, the girl's signature being attached. There would be about 16 grain, of powder to the packet, about as much as would lie on a shilling, and the quantity of strychnine would be about two grains. Deceased had bought chloroform at witness' shop. He had frequently talked to deceased, and be believed him to be well acquainted with chemistry; indeed, when the chloroform was sold witness thought It was for some experiments.  Dr. Henry Gibson said he was sent for on Saturday night, and saw deceased between and eleven. Mr. Carter had evidently just died. The muscles were very rigid, as from tetanic spasms. There was a bottle containing about an ounce of chloroform in the room. Witness made a post-mortem examination on the previous day. The brain, heart, and lungs were perfectly healthy. The stomach contained bread and butter, together with a considerable amount of blue powder, which be recognized as ' Battle's Vermin Killer'. An analysis indicated the presence of strychnine. Deceased bad Inhaled some chloroform, and he had evidently done this with his knowledge of anatomy that It would to some extent allay the tetanic spasms caused by strychnine, one grain of which was quite sufficient to kill two, if not three persons. Death was undoubtedly caused by strychnine. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased committed suicide whilst temporarily insane.  Mr. W. 0. C Carter had recently obtained a higher situation at Chesterfield, for which place he was preparing to leave Hull. The body of the deceased was Interred on Wednesday week in the sacristy of Scalcostes Church, and was followed by his relations and friends, the clergy, the principal, vice-principal, and the whole of the college staff. Great sympathy Is felt in Bridgnorth for the bereaved parents of the deceased.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 February 23 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

You asked “Does anyone know exactly which property at Oldbury Terrace this might be?”

On the attached modern County Council map the house at the western end of Oldbury Terrace is identified today as ‘Bendor’ (adjoining Hilly Bank lane)

I have a very poor quality photograph of an Ordnance Survey map for that same area. Although not very clear, I think the same house was called ‘The Cedars.

Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 February 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gwynne,
That is a great find!  I am enclosing a further map which shows several trees in the garden which no doubt is why they called it The Cedars.  I do wonder if the group photo of the Carters, taken in 1904, enclosed above (page 2), was taken at this property.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
It seems the poor quality of the previous image was of my own making. I now realize I have the originals for the whole of Bridgnorth. The house of your ancestors ‘The Cedars’ in Oldbury Terrace is clearly shown below.
Also see two pages from an 1886  Almanack. Mr W Carter is shown as being on the committee of the Charitable Relief Society and as an Assistant Overseer.

Gwynne

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwynne,
Again, a hugely helpful contribution for which I am most grateful.  Regarding the group photo of William Carter and family outside a house in 1904, I looked up Google maps for this end house now known as 'Bendor' on Hilly Bank Lane and I can just see that Bendor has exactly the same arched stonework around the lane side door and the same brick work over the windows.  Since there are two windows on the modern Google image and just one on the 1904 photo I am guessing this photo was taken against Bendor house front which is now faced with two glazed conservatory additions.  I'm sure this will be confirmed (or dismissed!) in the very near future.  Once again, thank you so much for these very helpful additions.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 June 23 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
It’s taken four months but at last I’ve obtained copies of the newspaper articles that mention the deaths / funerals of your CARTER ancestors.

Issue dated 2nd January 1904. The death and funeral of Elizabeth Woodhouse CARTER.
Issue dated 19th May 1906. The death and funeral of William CARTER.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 June 23 19:30 BST (UK) »
Issue dated 1st August 1908.  Death in Toronto, Canada of Henry Herbert CARTER.

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 June 23 10:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Gwynne, I am hugely pleased to have the two obituaries of William Carter and his wife.  They are valued documents to myself and wife and we are very grateful to you for finding and posting these.  Thank you so much - Kay and Neill