Author Topic: Bridgnorth Shropshire  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 February 23 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
You know for a fact that on the 1881 census, your CARTER family were at No.14 New Town. That would now be ‘Vine Cottage’ Railway Street.
The other ‘Vine Cottage’ presently for sale is No.1 Stourbridge Road, Bridgnorth. That’s the other side of the river.
I firmly believe that the house at No.1 Spital (now Hospital) Street (mentioned on the earlier census) would have been the Head Masters house built adjacent to St Mary’s School in 1857.
Did you know the family were also living on Bernard’s Hill (was Barnet’s Hill) in 1856 ?
Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 23 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwynne,
I readily accede to your thoughts on this.  No, I didn't know where the family was in 1856.  I'll have to look that up.  I don't suppose there is a photo of the school master's house adjacent to the school?  And the school itself?
Many thanks again.
Neill.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 February 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
Rather than keep posting individual messages, I need several days to pull together all the information about this family. Apart from thousands of records on my laptop, I’ll visit the local library to obtain details of the family mentioned in the local newspaper and visit the cemetery to check known locations for memorial headstones.
I don’t know about the Commercial and Preparatory School in Bank Street that you mention in your private message. May I ask your source? Perhaps that was after they retired from St Mary’s school ?
As you know, on the census they were at No.1 Hospital Street. That would have been St Mary’s school. That is confirmed by their entries in a 1870 Trade Directory;
William CARTER, Master. St Mary’s National School. Spital Street.
Mrs Elizabeth CARTER, Mistress. St Mary’s National School. Spital Street.
I have a long list of share holders in the Agricultural Hall that was built in Bridgnorth High Street in 1866/67. It includes William CARTER, School Master of St Mary's School who held 10 shares.
Gwynne

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 23 22:43 GMT (UK) »
That is a brilliant and unexpected response Gwynne and Kay and I are very grateful for your help.  With regard to the Commercial and Preparatory School: first I need to correct the dates to 1888 to approx. 1898.  The sources were newspaper cuttings from Bridgnorth Journal 8th Sept. 1888, 23rd March 1889 and 28th April 1894.  I am sure there are many others too.  They reference Master William Carter C.M. with the school at Bank Street, terms on application and a further address of Oldbury Terrace.  We also believe he used personalised Oldbury Terrace with the term "The Cedars" referenced on his Probate papers and his wife's obituary notice.  We have photos of William and his wife Elizabeth and of several of the children.  Part of the family moved to Toronto and there is a 74 page summary of the family made by Glen Carter of Toronto (now deceased). We are more than happy to share any data we have of the family.  Again, many thanks, Neill

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 February 23 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on William Carter's Commercial and Preparatory School, Bank Street, Bridgnorth.
Many thanks.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 February 23 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
I assume you already have the christening details for all 14 children of William CARTER and Elizabeth. You will know that the family were living on Bernard’s Hill (was Barnet’s Hill) when children No.3 Mary and No.4 Kate were christened, before moving to St Mary’s School house.

Two of the children were buried in Bridgnorth Municipal cemetery in adjacent plots. Unfortunately there is no memorial headstone.
Mary Colbourne CARTER, daughter of Wm & Elizabeth, age 2, from Bernard's Hill. Buried on 28th Feb 1856. Grave No.2902 Consecrated section. Copy of page available if required.
Edith Mary CARTER, daughter of William & Elizabeth, age 12 weeks. Buried on 3rd Dec 1868. Grave No.2903 Consecrated section. Copy of page available if required.

You mentioned that William CARTER and Elizabeth were buried in nearby Oldbury churchyard.
In the year 2000 all the visible memorial headstones at Oldbury were recorded and published in a booklet. There is no headstone for William CARTER or Elizabeth.
However, a grandson is mentioned on one headstone;
“Tom only child of Thomas and Kate SHARPLES of Blackburn and grandson of W CARTER of Bridgnorth died 27 Sept 1889 aged 7 years.” Photograph attached.

William CARTER was listed in the 1863 Burgess List.
Also listed in an 1870 Trade Directory as Master of St Mary’s National School. Spital St.

Mr W Carter was on the committee of the Charitable Relief Society with specific responsibly for Oldbury Wells, Salop St and Pound St. (source = an 1886 Almanack. Copy of page is available if required)
Wm CARTER, Oldbury Terrace, Railway Street was listed as an Assistant Overseer in the Bridgnorth Union for St Mary’s Parish. (source = an 1886 Almanack. Copy of page is available if required)

William Carter, School Master. St Mary's School held 10 Shares in the Bridgnorth Agricultural Hall and Corn Exchange Company Ltd as on the 17th December 1870. (copy of Register page is available if required)

Your family are mentioned in the following issues of the local newspaper The Bridgnorth Journal. The date of publication is shown. Unfortunately the micro film reader is broken so I can’t obtain copies.
19th Oct 1895.  Died in Blackburn. Kate Emma SHARPLES, wife of Thomas SHARPLES of Blackburn and the daughter of William CARTER of Bridgnorth.

2nd January 1904.  Died - Elizabeth Woodhouse CARTER, age 71, wife of William CARTER of Oldbury Terrace. Funeral details given.

19th May 1906.  Died - William CARTER, age 80, at Oldbury Terrace. Funeral in 26th May issue.

1st August 1908.  Died in Toronto, Canada. Henry Herbert CARTER, fourth son of the Late William CARTER of The Cedars, Bridgnorth.

23rd Feb 2001.  For Sale - Description of Vine Cottage. 14 Railway St, Bridgnorth.

Hope it helps,
Gwynne.

On the hill side - Vine Cottage, No.14 Railway Street.
Tom SHARPLES (damaged) gravestone in Oldbury Churchyard.

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 February 23 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwynne,
I am very grateful for all the information you have so kindly provided. The two sources from the 1886 Almanac would be appreciated.  Could you tell me what paper you looked in for the funeral details of William and Elizabeth Carter since I can't see these in the Wellington or Bridgnorth paper - perhaps my ineptness!  Nor can I find the sale particulars of Vine Cottage Feb 2001.  I thought that last one would be easy too, but not so.
Again, I am most grateful for your support in this research.
Neill.

Offline Neill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 February 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The photo of Vine Cottage was brilliant!
Neill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Re the newspapers. The Bridgnorth Journal is not available ‘online’ for all years. However, issues for nearly a 100 years are available on micro film in Bridgnorth Library. Many years ago, I spent thousands of hours reading every issue from 1852 to 1920. In chronological order, I recorded the name of every Bridgnorth person or interesting event and subsequently published two books. The aim is to use the books as a ‘finding’ aid and then view the micro film for any additional information. Later a third book followed covering 1972 to 2009. Those later years are available in the original printed format.

With the micro film reader being broken, I can’t presently obtain further information about those 1904 to 1908 deaths. The 2001 sales details for Vine Cottage, 14 Railway St are in printed format as photographed below.