Author Topic: Marriage in two different parishes  (Read 293 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in two different parishes
« on: Friday 10 February 23 14:07 GMT (UK) »
In working on a family named Joslin/Josling in London I came across a marriage in  St George's Hanover Square  Parish stating the couple were parishioners and another a year later in  St Marylebone saying the same thing - both members of that parish.

What should I make of this?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in two different parishes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the first one has been crossed out?
Indicating that it didn't take place.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 23 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Did her father have something to do with this - did he withdraw his consent to the 1791 marriage, perhaps?  Mary Josling was a witness to the 1792 marriage.

ADDED:  does that note say

Forb** by me
John Josling her father
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Did her father have something to do with this - did he withdraw his consent to the 1791 marriage, perhaps?  Mary Josling was a witness to the 1792 marriage.

ADDED:  does that note say

Forb** by me
John Josling her father

I believe it is forbid. So the change from one parish to the next still bothers me. One supposes they may have moved in that time, but is it normal for people to be jumping from one parish to another?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it is entirely unknown, and perhaps for various reasons - don't want the whole parish knowing your intentions, don't like the clergy, don't want the family/families to know - take your pick, or have your own theories.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
In working on a family named Joslin/Josling in London I came across a marriage in  St George's Hanover Square  Parish stating the couple were parishioners and another a year later in  St Marylebone saying the same thing - both members of that parish.

Looks like the first one has been crossed out?
Indicating that it didn't take place.

The first clip, at St George Hanover Square, is not a marriage. It's the calling of banns, on 4, 11 and 18 December 1791. It looks like the father objected when the banns were read and overruled the marriage (maybe Elizabeth was under-age, or he didn’t approve of the groom?).

Banns were then read again for the same couple the following month, at St Marylebone, on 15, 22 and 29 January 1792, and they were married there the next day, 30 January 1792. Either the father was appeased, or he simply didn’t get to know about the reading of the banns in St Marylebone.

The two parishes are adjacent, and this sort of thing isn’t particularly unusual in London. Anyone could say they were living in a parish when banns were read. They may or may not have been, and it is most unlikely that any checks would have been made.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 23 19:35 GMT (UK) »

The two parishes are adjacent, and this sort of thing isn’t particularly unusual in London. Anyone could say they were living in a parish when banns were read. They may or may not have been, and it is most unlikely that any checks would have been made."
That's very helpful, Bookbox! Learning about Marriage Bonds, and Banns and Clandestine marriages added to 'real' marriages make this business very interesting!

Thank you!