Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 19 February 2023  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 19 February 2023
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hope everyone fares well in such extremes of weather.
Why some people still don’t believe in climate change is beyond me!

Sunny morning here ,washing almost done so on the line in the sunshine shortly.
I get a through breeze as there is a gap in the houses to my side and a fresh
Westerly wind blows right through my back garden ,lovely for drying clothes and the sunshine keeps them sparkling white.
I like hanging up washing.

Going today to pick up the amazing bargain I got from the Sue Ryder Charity shop , they have new wool so really went in for that but a new dolly’s pram, a
well made one was only£15 ,our baby Kyra was one in November 10 th, toddling everywhere , so will be ready for the pram in the not too distant future ,perhaps birthday.
Why it was there and so very inexpensive I can’t think.
I give them quite a lot but that is not relevant to the price asked .
Also a garden storage chest ,mine -which leaks! - cost £80 the one in S.R was £39-00.
I must get that today if still there .

No idea what to do for tea, our main meal.
Son is pretty easy but a few dislikes ,not keen on smoked haddock which I do like.
We won’t starve.
People in Turkey and Syria and still Ukraine would like the” problem” of a choice .
Cheerio and look after yourselves and hope no one is badly affected by extremes of weather.
Viktoria.

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria and Mare for your thoughts.
We do utilise the mountain of poo which I clean out by putting it onto the next garden bed when it's broken down.
I am on a farm, small by Aussie standards, 220 acres of deep white non-wetting sand.
The piggies or chooks get my vegie scraps usually.
I was reading my "Gardening Australia" book today and wishing I could have the beautiful gardens in there.
My big problem is keeping the ground clear...tiger snakes, red belly black snakes, king browns visit often.
A big blue tongue lizard frightened the hell out of me when I uncovered the horse hay the other day!
Mare, I visited my SIL tuesday, his house has been spared, they don't know how mind you. All the family are ok, some got told to get out. Off they went with tents etc to the top of the hill/mountain.
Tui said that there was plenty to survive on up there.
He dearly wants to go home to help but can't yet.

When will this end???

My thoughts are with you all.
Love
Chris
🦄🦄🦄
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 11:54 GMT (UK) »
That is very kind given your worries ,rest assured many people’s thoughts are with people in Australia,New Zealand and Ukraine .

News here - Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon has resigned and shortly there will be a Police announcement about Nicola Bulley ,
,who has been missing in very strange circumstances since 27 thJanuary.

Such heartache for her family and friends .
Viktoria.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear you and SIL have had some contact Chrissie, just had word tonight from niece in Hastings and they're OK and well prepared but have been flooded in with roads inaccessible and phones out. Huge worry for folk down there with not being able to contact to check if OK amid devastation.
Daughter in north has her power back on now too, fingers crossed for longer this time, now also has the generator as standby.

First hand news via you Viktoria, mostly local updates here presently.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My Winter flowering Jasmine is in flower, and big fat buds on the fig .
Sadly no Snowdrops this year , I did not see any evidence of squirrels in the Autumn so where the bulbs have gone is a mystery.

Visit from lady who is 95% blind and deaf.89, lives alone and her daughter has just bought a house in The Lake District .
I won’t say what I think of that.
Her son who was her help died a year ago after only hours in hospital.
She is amazing ,getting out for a walk and managing I know not how without a washer, a functioning oven or fire.

Well a quick tea ,cheese and mushroom omelettes ,a few chips and salad.

Son down to head office tomorrow , just overnight.

Hope all are well.
Cheerio ,Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 February 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Supermarket visit this morning revealed lots of gaps on the shelves - salad stuff, tomatoes in short supply.  Fish, milk and chicken all at or a day before their sell-by date.  Eggs in 6 packs in very short supply.  I think they must have missed a delivery.  They have cut out night-time shelf stackers now, so the aisles are often blocked with trolleys and stackers.  Prices are certainly rising.  Last week I ran out of milk and had to go to the Co-op supermarket, where I was charged £1.90 for a 2 pint container of semi-skimmed milk - £1.65 at my usual shop!  How do people manage?  I always buy something for the food bank, usually something healthy, like tins of tuna, veg or fruit, something which doesn't need to be heated, as many of their customers can't even afford to use their stoves. 

A community nurse told me that Covid rates are rising now, particularly in schoolchildren.  Not many people are wearing masks these days.  Shelves bearing cold and flu remedies have been stripped following the outbreak of flu after Christmas.

Gardens are beginning to look cheery as the bulbs bloom.  Primroses, snowdrops, daffodils all help to raise our spirits, don't they?  Birds are beginning to pair up - we have 2 robins which visit our bird table, along with a pair of blackbirds and several sparrows.  Bluetits have already taken up residence in the nesting box and a pair of very fat pigeons try to bully their way onto the table, but we scare them off, as we do the jackdaws which live in the tall trees next door - can't stand their noise and they are very greedy.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 February 23 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes ,aisles blocked with stacks of pallets and disgraceful price hikes!

British Gas profit £3 .3 Bn I seem to remember from early morning news.
Also disgraceful.
Up by £2 Bn .

We had it hard but somehow it did not seem so bad ,perhaps because we were used to austerity ,all many young people had known since 1939 and things just getting better by the mid fifties.

I hope Roobarb is alright , she did post briefly a little while ago ,be nice to know all is well.
That goes too for everyone.

Son off to Head Office this evening, stopping off at ex Uni friend’s  ,back Saturday so I can have a go at his bedroom, office, store room !!!
(All the same room!)

Must phone number one son,to see if things are still progressing .

Also some tidying up to do and a bit of ironing .
Cheerio folks,Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 February 23 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your concern Viktoria, I'm okay thanks you. Have had some stuff going on but I've been reading everyone's posts, it's good to hear from people around the world as well as those closer to home.

Have battened down the hatches, we in the North East and Scotland are in for a battering tomorrow, a yellow warning of high winds. Hope RTL doesn't get caught up in it all on her journeys to and from work.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 February 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a piece of paper from 1975 listing prices from various supermarkets in Cheadle Hulme:

Butter - 16p
Sugar - 22p
Lamb shoulder - 42p per lb
Rice Krispies - 36p
Cornflakes - 25p
Cheddar cheese - 36p
Baked beans - 12p
Frozen peas - 22p per lb

;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY