Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 19 February 2023  (Read 2207 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 19 February 2023
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 23 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Morning Candleflame, I'm not too far from the coast, Tyneside.  We have a bit of sunshine and light bluish sky but I'm still feeling a bit short changed from the big sunshine symbol showing on my weather forecast. :-X

Have just got message from my family member.  She says she is going to NZ not this Saturday but next.  Oh dear!!😳
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 23 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass, I think it depends on where your family member is going. The South Island has had some wonderful weather and very high temperatures. Here in Auckland, it's still very unpleasant but I think the worst is over, I've just read that the weather is starting to track further down the country. I'm sure things will be much improved by the time your relative arrives. Theoretically, it's still summer here so fingers crossed!

It's been fascinating reading other people's posts and finding out about other people's lives - or maybe I'm just nosey! I joined this site to find information about my Sussex family, and the help I've had has been invaluable. So my thanks to everyone!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass, I think it depends on where your family member is going. The South Island has had some wonderful weather and very high temperatures. Here in Auckland, it's still very unpleasant but I think the worst is over, I've just read that the weather is starting to track further down the country. I'm sure things will be much improved by the time your relative arrives. Theoretically, it's still summer here so fingers crossed!

It's been fascinating reading other people's posts and finding out about other people's lives - or maybe I'm just nosey! I joined this site to find information about my Sussex family, and the help I've had has been invaluable. So my thanks to everyone!

Hello griffo99! Just looked at some of your previous posts re your Sussex lines - my mother was from Sussex (Heathfield) and you and I might have a connection re the Waterhouse/Hyland family. 
Hope the weather improves in NZ! 
Diana, Ontario, Canada

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana, amazing if there's a connection - small world! Stephen Hyland and Hannah Waterhouse were my 2nd great grandparents. I'm hoping to get back to the UK next year, it's been a while since I was last there and I'm looking forward to doing a bit more research, and visiting some of the main towns that feature so much in my past - Ticehurst, Burwash etc.

I hope the weather in Ontario is better than Auckland! The rain has stopped now so life's looking much more cheerful than it did yesterday.

All the best :)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 February 23 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Nice to “ hear “ from posters so far away.
Thoughts with those having or threatened with really bad weather.

Sad news from Turkey and Syria, had to get my World Atlas to really pinpoint where places are.
50’000+ conservative estimate of fatalities .

Chris, do you make your own compost from plant leaves etc and vegetable  food waste?
That would enrich your sandy soil .
Sorry if you already do that.

Horse droppings were prized in the not too far off days of horse drawn transport ,but it needed to rot down for a good while before being used as a top dressing or soil additive .

Well,I am off to bed.
Usually wash on Mondays ,also other days as needs be, but not today with family visit so if a good day for hanging the washing on the line tomorrow I will get some done.
Cheerio everyone .
Viktoria.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana, amazing if there's a connection - small world! Stephen Hyland and Hannah Waterhouse were my 2nd great grandparents. I'm hoping to get back to the UK next year, it's been a while since I was last there and I'm looking forward to doing a bit more research, and visiting some of the main towns that feature so much in my past - Ticehurst, Burwash etc.

I hope the weather in Ontario is better than Auckland! The rain has stopped now so life's looking much more cheerful than it did yesterday.

All the best :)

I am sure we are related somehow!  I too have lots of folks from Ticehurst and Burwash - and Warbleton and Heathfield!
I will send you a PM, perhaps tomorrow, am going away for a few days, but I will check my files and see what I have.
Weather here is normally very cold in February but we are having a mild winter and the snow has melted again.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear cyclone didn't affect you too badly in your pocket of Auckland griffo99 and same for us really, expected to be wilder than it was and wind didn't really pick up too much until overnight Monday and through Tuesday, and then was without the rain and so no flooding and just some debris from our trees on ½ acre. Others didn't fare so well of course, sodden or unstable ground and swelling waterways and falling trees. Out west my nephew had to evacuate again as he did a fortnight ago and went to stay with my sister, his mum with no wet floors but roads were then flooded her area also in west. Auckland schools mostly closed as precaution Monday, Tuesday, travel by trains, boats and trains planes out and warnings to stay of roads unless necessary, businesses including supermarkets closing early etc.

Daughter and family in rural Whangarei have had 'insane' wind, her words, from Sunday through to Tuesday but subsided today Wednesday, however have woken to no power again. They lost power a couple of times for a few hours over Sunday night and early Monday and then from early Monday afternoon to early evening Tuesday and then again overnight. They're managing OK with that having had to deal with it in past, power packs for charging and camp stoves etc, though they lose water supply too as power needed to run a pump but get by with big flagons of water and a full bath  to bucket water into cistern. There's a generator at in-laws across town that they can use if roads accessible to go out at all, so many trees and lines down their way and low lying ground flooded, school closed again for them today as no power.

Extended to National State of Emergency by Tuesday morning as slow moving cyclone made its way south and delivering wild conditions to other areas and road closures and evacuations.
Sorry to say Chrissie, Hawke's Bay have had a really rough couple of days,extensive flooding in region and concern for residents, hopefully all good with your family connection, communications difficult with cell phone towers down in places.  We have family there too, Napier and Hastings, also Gisborne and the Coromandel where access has been further cut off with washed out roads, slips etc. Earthquake just west of cousin's place in Gisborne early Monday evening, a bit of extra anxiety but they just felt a light shaking, another north of Wellington this evening with a strong shake. The Civil Defence Emergency alerts on the phone are enough to make you jump, almost need an alert that they're coming through, though sort of getting used to them as had a few through Covid as well. Also a bit like when we tell people not to be alarmed if testing fire alarms where staff and public might get a fright … and they still do even with just a wee beep.

Harder hit areas are suffering with loss of power, water, roads, plus communications and supplies, plus more ongoing and long term affects of course. Many comparisons being made of the damage caused by a similar event with Cyclone Bola 35 years ago late February early March and particularly bad for those East Coast regions, and memories of that. Quite often the sub-tropical cyclones are down-graded before they reach NZ and we'll get a lashing of wind and rain or they'll take a deviation away from us.

Has been sunny with just gentle winds today, lots of cancellations for some events over these past couple of weeks and for the next week or so, Ed Sheeran concerts went ahead in Auckland Friday and Saturday nights. Princess Anne is in NZ on brief visit atm, schedule slightly rearranged. We're still to catch up with family in the north, planning for past 3 Sundays have been a no go.

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mare, we're in west Auckland and things haven't been too bad compared to so many others. Such a sad time, for people, livestock and the country. Now compounded by a 6.1 earthquake in Wellington, felt even here in west Auckland.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Didn't actually sense it here at all, friends did quite a lot further south. 

We're on the southern side of the city, sis lives more north west and nephew where all the worst flooding was on 27/1, but yes, some so much more worse off than others and feel for them with loss of homes and livelihoods.