Author Topic: Married in France?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline SandrineH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Married in France?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 September 23 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your information. I stand in awe of your 'ancestor hunting' detective work!!

If they were married and lived in France then in 1939 when the Nazi's invaded France they would both have been at risk especially Wilfrid being a British citizen who would have been locked up as an enemy alien. Wonder if they had to leave for the UK? Obviously if they did, they returned to France after the war. The war put a stop to the UK/British empire commercial wool trade and certainly would have stopped the trade in Europe.
Interesting Wilfrid's wife's father was in the wool trade. So was Wilfrid's mother's (Maud) brother as also the brother's sisters and also Maud's father and later for a short time mother. This is possibly how Wilfrid met his future bride, via business.

Johnhood I notice your comment that the probate record image is on Anc. I could not find it when I googled it and the UK gov site was also negative. Will try later with different name spelling  combinations. It would be interesting to see who their children were.

Thank you again for all your information. Anton

Offline SandrineH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Married in France?
« Reply #37 on: Friday 15 September 23 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Sandrine Humphreys and my grandfather was Wilfred and grandmother Louise Desoubrie. My dad was Roger Humphreys and was a wool broker. Can I ask why you are researching my family? I came across your post really by chance . Please do contact me if you want. My dad my brother and I were born in Mouscron in Belgium. Hope to hear back from you