Author Topic: Help with Latin please.  (Read 391 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Latin please.
« on: Monday 13 February 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.
Normally I can make educated guesses (with the help of Google!) but I’m struggling with this one. I imagine a William Abbott might be a future spouse?
Any help, very much appreciated!
Mx

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
30th March in the Church of All Souls at Liverpool she contracted marriage with William Abbott - witnesses Joseph Cost[b?]y and Sarah B[     ].

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. All Souls ties in with lots of sibling connections. The date is a puzzle. I have Ellen McCarthy's DOB correct and she links through into the 1939 Census, where she is still a McCarthy then a very helpful sidenote telling me she marries an ABBOTT on 15.04.1948, of which there is a record for! All puzzling!

Thank you for taking the time to transcibe!
Mx

Online garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Not puzzling at all. Ellen McCarthy's marriage was registered in Liverpool South district in the first quarter of 1948 volume 10d page 1104. The date on the 1939 register is only when that was annotated with her change of name.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 23 23:25 GMT (UK) »
30th March in the Church of All Souls at Liverpool she contracted marriage with William Abbott - witnesses Joseph Cost[b?]y and Sarah B[     ].

Possibly Costley

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Not puzzling at all. Ellen McCarthy's marriage was registered in Liverpool South district in the first quarter of 1948 volume 10d page 1104. The date on the 1939 register is only when that was annotated with her change of name.

It can be puzzling if someone doesn’t realise that various records sometimes show the same information in different forms e.g. church/ civil records - 1939 and marriage indexes.
We are all learning on Rootschat and people are usually most helpful.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »

Ah! I see. Thank you. Yes, with that knowledge it is, of course, no longer puzzling! It now fits perfectly and does indeed solve a puzzle for me - one of many with a tricky family tree! I am always grateful for everyone's help on here as I learn as I go. Perhaps one day, I could even return the favour and help you with a 'puzzle' of yours!  :)

Thanks
Mx

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »

Possibly Costley

Thank you! Yes, I read it as Costley too, albeit not easily!
Mx

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »

It can be puzzling if someone doesn’t realise that various records sometimes show the same information in different forms e.g. church/ civil records - 1939 and marriage indexes.
We are all learning on Rootschat and people are usually most helpful.  :)

Thank you. This is very much true - I made (the wrong) assumption that the dates entered as additional notes on the 1939 Census corresponded to the actual date of event and not the date of entry onto the form! I'm mightily impressed though that the Church, St Anthony's updated her Baptism records from 1885 with this info!  :o

Mx